Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need New Tow Vehicle >

Need New Tow Vehicle

Notices

Need New Tow Vehicle

Old 12-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about everywhere, but where I live the price on diesel trucks is down. I have a 04, and I like it, but the LBZ powered trucks with the 6 speed allison are fantastic. The only problems with all the chevys is they eat front end parts. Well the 4x4s do anyway, so that is one thing you will have to be prepared for. There is a kit made by cognito that will brace the idler and pitman arm and I hear it solves the problem. I believe it cost about $220. Without it you will go through a pitman arm about every 60k. It will not break and leave you stranded, you will just notice play in the steering. The other item is front hubs will take a beating especially if you drive on dirt roads, or rough pavement. They are not expensive or hard to replace, but again the steering will get play, and the alignment will get off.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Banned
Gold Member

DONE! 2009 Black on Black 2500 DMAX, crew cab, short bed LT with leather!! Had them put my tires on the truck as I had just purchased nice big tires and the stock ones looked like cart tires!!

This thing is wicked. The pull is awesome.

I think I got a great deal as while I was signing the docs, the GM and salesman came in and said that they couldnt do the deal so I went nuts and got my truck. Seems like someone made a math error somewhere. I figured that as it was a big discount. Whne I came back with my Avalanche title the owner of the dealership was there talking to both guys!

I am happy and cant wait to tow with it. Need to get e few Hustler decals made!

Last edited by Elite Marine; 12-23-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Registered

Congrats on the new truck....
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrads !!!!! one word of caution on tires, make sure the tires you put on are load range E's, I tried to go down in load range a while back thinking I don't carry all that weight, just tow it...well the truck drove like crap, plowed in turns...went right back to E's and it's great !!! so be carefull there...also been told now it's illegal for a tire shop to put on less load range than speced by manufacture.....I just finised doing the big airlift rear bags with onboard compressor for towing, can't wait to see how it does !!! good luck on your new ride !!!! Rob..one other thing kinda funny..I to replaced a avalanche(which I loved) to get my duramax
Old 12-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Banned
Gold Member

They are E rated. I cant get over the torque of this truck!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Hey!!
Merry Christmas Kirk!! Glad you are happy with it!

This has been a very informative thread!! Thanks for starting it.

Dick

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 12-26-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Merry Christmas to YOU!

Black on Black LT, sweet! Congrats. Post some pics of your rig after you get some.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Just wait until you have your boat hooked up and you can more than keep up with the traffic when leaving a light !!!!

What dealer did you buy from???

Good Job !!!!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by tx911
Mr Fixxall

Are you refering to chevy trucks in general, or to diesel trucks? I know the 1/2 ton gas motors have a dash issue covered under a special policy from GM, I think until 70k or 100k, but I have not heard this on the diesel trucks. Laso on the rear ends, I dont know about the 1/2 tons, but the rear end in the Chavy 3/4 ton up is the same AAM axle that dodge uses too and is generally thought to be the best axle going, even better then the dana 60/70 axle.
You are correct! but with my experiences it's all the trucks,the ones i have replaced were over 100k,and their were a few that i sent back to the dealer..

As for the rear ends,i was referring to the rear rotors get all rusted up on the inside pad surface and cant be machined out.. in my opinion its from the ceramic pads that seems to polish the rotors to a point that they scab up with rust from sitting..A regular metallic pad tends to cut into the rotor which removes the rust build up..as for the backing plates rusting out its just bad metal..

lets face it if you don't take care of your automatic transmission it wont last..i know dodge is has a bad reputation for transmissions but its usually due to the maintenance,i change my fluid every 15k and have gotten 300,000 out of my 4l80e..as for the dodge tranny i have sen them go 150,000 with proper maintenance of using the required atf+4 and proper band adjustment's.

I failed to mention the dmax Allison trans is as only as good as the gm transmissions,its not a full Allison transmission,Allison built the transmission without valve bodies,then GM installed their own valve bodies which is why they get hung up into a certain gear sometimes..

just my o2

BTW..http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/..._interior.html

Last edited by FIXX; 12-24-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Banned
Gold Member

I bought it from Rockenbock. Only one left in the area.

Just bought bug deflector, locking panel bed cover, and under seat storage container!!

Nothing like decking out a new ride.

Merry Xmas everyone!!

Kirk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.