Sparl Plug Wires with Crane Hi6M >

Sparl Plug Wires with Crane Hi6M

Notices

Sparl Plug Wires with Crane Hi6M

Old 04-13-2002, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sparl Plug Wires with Crane Hi6M

Shoot, never gave that much thought to spark plug wires. Just installed a Cane Hi6M ignition with LX 92 coil and read the destructions on spark plug wires. They specify that the resistance should be 300 to 800 ohms per foot and non-solid core. Poked through the previous thread on spark plug wires and looked up the MSD #3123 on Summit web site. No ohm spec given but they are a sold core spiral per description. Crane does say to use a spiral wrap style but also says not to use solid core, wtf? Went down to the local PEP boys and picked up some Accel spiral wrap but they are too short so they are going back.

Has anyone used the MSD #3123 with a crane box? No knock sensor on this engine. What were the ohms/foot?

Summit does list a ACC-5041 universal that is spiral wrap and 500 ohms/foot. This looks like the ticked for 40 bucks. My real concern here is the universal part. Universal usually means fits most poorly and nothing well. How easy is it to cut and crimp the ends? Will they pull off and fall apart? I have not used the universal plug wires in years, seems last time they were crap.

When using non merc plug wires will the BB non HEI under header from brand Y fit or will they be too short due to the distributor height, header diameter etc? If that is the case I will be forced to use the universal kit.

Anyone have a wire recommendation for spiral wrap, non-solid core and 3 to five hundred ohms/foot?

Jerry, did you end up with the Hi6M? If so the drilling of the trigger cup is a pain. Since you are a machinist should be a piece of cake for you. My timing was 10 prior to drilling the cup and after it was at 14 without moving the distributor. Prior to firing mine up I did the tach test feature. It did not work exactly like the instruction said but the tach works fine. The ramp that steps from 0 to 10,000 stopped at 5000 and the step in 200rpm increments went in 100’s? Maybe it thinks I am running a 4cyl!

Tim T.
Old 04-13-2002, 01:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim,

No, never did buy any ignition box. Decided to just replace the cap, rotor, MSD blaster coil and wires and go from there. There was a film of oil on the rotor plate and in the pickup, so hoping that was the problem with it missing out on the dyno. Since the boxes do nothing after 3000 rpm, going to see if the new parts make any difference at idle and startup. Will go the Crane unit if any. I bought the MSD heli-coil wires. They are a universal set. In other words, have spark plug boot installed on the one end and wires left long so to cut to length. Crimping was a peice of cake and are tight. It looks just like the made up end when done. MSD does offer the wires in standard custom (both ends made up) lengths for over the V/C's, and longer custom lengths for behind the heads and under the hearders. Be sure to let me know your results when you get er running.

Jerry
Old 04-13-2002, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Jerry,
Can you check the Ohms per a given length? Ran it on the river today, starts very well and seems there is a bit more punch in the midrange. The stumble from the larger accelerator pumps is gone. The higher voltage seems to be able to burn off the excess surge of fuel. One anomaly I have to deal with is the tach. It was fine for the first several hours then started drifting at around 3000rpm. If I ran it up to 3500 or 4000 it stabilized. I suspect a separate gremlin on this. I will post about this after I change the plug wires and cap if it persists.

Tim T.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPQTIM..........Just checked a few of varing lengths. (MSD HeliCore 3123s).

32" @ 2.350 = 73.4
58" @ 4.210 = 72.5
42" @ 3.125 = 74.0

Average would then be 73.3 x 12 = 880/foot

Bob