Clarion CMD6 Head Unit >

Clarion CMD6 Head Unit

Notices

Clarion CMD6 Head Unit

Old 01-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarion CMD6 Head Unit

Does anybody have the Clarion CMD6 installed in their boats. I am looking to upgrade my head unit from an older model as simple as possible. Any reviews or feedback? I am especially interested in the Ipod functionality.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

I am looking at doing the same thing right now and was heavily advised in looking into the Alpine cda 9886. Priced reasonbly at under 250.00 some places.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Registered

The Alpine cda 9886 looks great. Trying to find out more about it on-line now. Do you know if it also charges the Ipod while playing?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LKNTREV
The Alpine cda 9886 looks great. Trying to find out more about it on-line now. Do you know if it also charges the Ipod while playing?
yes it does
Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Registered

Does the alpine have a remote you can install up on the dash? Check out the remotes for the clarion (MW1) part number. This way tuck the head unit inside and the remote on top of the dash. The remote displays/controls ipod info etc as well as other functions.

Ooops, looked for that alpine unit but didn't realise had a M after part number, Nice marine unit and I see an Alpine remote in there marine catalogue, is that compatable with this unit ?

Last edited by Dan74; 01-10-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I researched this unit in the fall and talked with Clairion direct. Nice unit, but in order to go from any of the older units you have to change all your remotes as well as cables as nothing is compatible. So plan on a BIG upgrade cost. You can still buy the CMD5 online on Ebay and everything interchanges on that unit. I'll stick with this unit until it dies..I of course have the Ipod box to use with it though and I see the point of the CMD6 but man thats alot of upgrade cost for a Ipod.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dan74
Does the alpine have a remote you can install up on the dash? Check out the remotes for the clarion (MW1) part number. This way tuck the head unit inside and the remote on top of the dash. The remote displays/controls ipod info etc as well as other functions.

Ooops, looked for that alpine unit but didn't realise had a M after part number, Nice marine unit and I see an Alpine remote in there marine catalogue, is that compatable with this unit ?
The Alpine marines have two remotes. the mc10 (if i remember the part #) has display & can mount in different spots. it communicates w/ the headunit wirelessly but does require a power source. the other is a waterproof key fob. i cant remember the total number of remotes you can have connected but its quite a few.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered

My current head unit is exposed in the cockpit and not protected by the cabin. I am wondering if the Alpine unit can withstand the elements of nature like the Clarions. They claim the Alpine CDA-9886M has a special marine coating (not sure if that is the same as a water-resistant face plate). Any body know more on this?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LKNTREV
My current head unit is exposed in the cockpit and not protected by the cabin. I am wondering if the Alpine unit can withstand the elements of nature like the Clarions. They claim the Alpine CDA-9886M has a special marine coating (not sure if that is the same as a water-resistant face plate). Any body know more on this?
A water resistant faceplate it like what you see on the kenwood 300mr, clarions, new sony, etc. Normally the cd slot or internal ipod dock is covered by a fold down door. The 9886m has an open slot which theoretically could allow water in. The internal components are marinized but it wont offer the protection as he units w/ sealed covers. But you could also install it behind a 3rd party marine radio cover.