Have you heard of BAD LIFTER BORES? >

Have you heard of BAD LIFTER BORES?

Notices

Have you heard of BAD LIFTER BORES?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Blower motor with gas in the oil, three of the lifters were gaulding into the bores.

Last edited by GPM; 01-12-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

articfriends was talking about this,,,look up under his posts,,,hope this helps http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...w50-oil-2.html

Last edited by TWIN-SPINS; 01-12-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Jim,
What did actually tell it would take to solve the problem and what is it that is acutally wrong wit them. I have never seen a BBC with bad lifter bores. Actually once I did after I completely grenaded an engine and had shavings everywhere. It was one of those were you could put your fist through the oil pan. Needless to say we just ran a hone through them and they cleaned up fine. Never had any issues after the rebuild. If you ran the engines for a number of years with no problems then.............. If he is saying that they are beyond acceptable tollerances I guess I would have to see it with my own eyes. I get real anal sometimes with rebuilds wanting absolutely everything perfect and it can drive me nuts and also go without paying the heat bill. Sometimes I also try and fix things that aren't broke and end up regreting it. I'm not saying not to be concerned with it but then again sometimes these kind of fixes can actually lead to other issues. You'll probably tear them down every couple of years for inspection and bearings anyway I would assume. As long as the cam lobe hits center on all lifter gallies and they are within tolerance. Well I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I know your sinking some big bucks into these things and you want them right and I completely understand that. Keep us posted with the details. Your going to run rollers aren't you.
Good luck,
John
Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I DO NOT want to bring the thread back up. At the end of the thread there was a lot of heated words.

But if you search on speedwake Tech Forum and search Dropped a Valve after 27 Hours . I DO NOT know if that is what the final outcome was. The lifters were sticking and leaving the valve open and hitting the pistons.
I simple fix for that would be just use heavier springs.

Just kiding/////
Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Please explain this
Gas in the oil thins the viscosity of the oil you are using and the thinner oil does not have the same film strength as the non-diluted oil so load carrying benifits goes away and metal to meatl contact comes to visit.

I would think that that if your oil was diluted enought to cause lifter bore damage, the bearings would all be junk, not to mention the rings.

Ken
Old 01-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
All you need is a little gas in the oil to destroy the lifter bores.
They can be bored to the next size without liners.
My question was about 'bored to the next size withoug liners?

Please explain, never heard of this.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a carb flooding issues and the oil get diluted with fuel, it will kill the bearings and such in a heartbeat...I found out the hard way....took so little it was unreal, killed a crank because of a powder coated float bowls and hang the float..seems to me you would kill the crank and bearings like I did way before the lifter bores...why did you pull the engine down ? Rob
Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
articfriends was talking about this,,,look up under his posts,,,hope this helps http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...w50-oil-2.html
That was an interesting article. The machine shop is looking at my second block now, I was shocked when he told me and need to ask again exactly what is wrong with block #1. I don't think they went thru the time to put the true lifter jig on it.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

A few years ago I had a flat tappet lifter that was not rotating correctly. It caused a cam lobe to flatten out and then Boom!! A piston went lean and blew a hole in it. I simply had the lifter bores honed out and have not had any issues since. I have since upgraded to a full roller setup. If the lifter bores are out of line that is a whole other story. Like was said before a lot of them leave the factory that way and unless you run them at 6k+ RPM it may never cause you any problems. I am not a engine builder, this is just what happened to me and what I have heard from other people. Good luck with your project!!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
My question was about 'bored to the next size withoug liners?

Please explain, never heard of this.
on small block chevys there are actually 3 different size lifters that they use in the race cars .842 which is stock .875 which would be for an over bored lifter bore and .904 which is a stock Big Block / Mopar lifter bore on the aluminum blocks they use for sprint cars most of them now use the .904 lifters and i think it is because the roller bearings in the lifters are a little bigger and can take the abuse of a sprint car a little better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.