Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What heads/intake/cam setup for most hp out of a NA 540?? >

What heads/intake/cam setup for most hp out of a NA 540??

Notices

What heads/intake/cam setup for most hp out of a NA 540??

Old 01-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kidnova
Tight lash solid roller... I checked the lash about mid season and all seemed good so I ran it for the rest of the season as is/was, then pickled for the winter. I'll check/adjust the valves beginning of this season. I'd say check the lash every 25-30 hrs. If the lash grows by more than a thou or two, there's a problem. Your 26 Velocity should be a rocket with or without a solid roller if you're in the 700 hp neighborhood.

I have Jesel sportsman type shaft rockers. Don't get those, get the Pro's. Or, talk to Bob about T&D's. He'll steer you right.
Jesel has 29% off on the pros for the canfield heads right now.. almost went with them.. but since canfield is out of business and I only have the 310's I decided to stick with rockers.. next motor upgrade next year might fo AFR heads.. BUT.. as you pointed out the velocity IS a rocket with what I have already.. and with gas arouns $2.75/gal my motor does run well as is.. haha..
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I also agree with talking with Bob Mandara. I've been talking with him on my project. Super nice guy with a wealth of knowledge.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Has AFR redesigned their ex. ports I wonder?
Old 01-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baja27
BRIAN41 aren't your carbs from prosystem 3 circut?
They quoted 1050's 3 circut for mine, told me that what they use now.
Yes they are the Pro Systems Marine 1150's 3 circuit. When I ordered them for the application I did not know I would be getting the 3 circuit carbs. I fought a rich condition at about a 30 percent throttle position and found it to be the intermediate circuit. I talked to Patrick about it and after blocking off the intermediate circuit and changing the size of the high and idle air bleeds I got a very nice fuel curve and picked up HP and TQ throughout the RPM range.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
Yes they are the Pro Systems Marine 1150's 3 circuit. When I ordered them for the application I did not know I would be getting the 3 circuit carbs. I fought a rich condition at about a 30 percent throttle position and found it to be the intermediate circuit. I talked to Patrick about it and after blocking off the intermediate circuit and changing the size of the high and idle air bleeds I got a very nice fuel curve and picked up HP and TQ throughout the RPM range.
Brian, I am still interested in trying those little block-off kits you have for the 3-circuit Dom...mine are 1050's. I need enough for 4 carbs. I need your address so I can send you a check....I will shoot you a PM with my address, Thanks, Mark/KAAMA