jl amp Question.

Notices

jl amp Question.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
gotta run those puppys in stereo.
speaking of puppies why don't you find someone in need of a german shepherd pup. i have 3 left. i will give one away for who ever acts quickly. they are beautiful and have championship blood lines however just not much of a market right now. plus they are going on 6 mo. old. 3 males left. they are getting big.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
so with a DV 12" woofer running under 80 hz is it even necessary to run the two 8" as mid base from 80 hz up to 180 - 200 hz? Or would it just be recommended to run them say 125 hz and down with a mono amp? Hope this makes sense.

I guess what I am wondering is what would sound the best provided you have the six to eitht 6.5" for the highs.
Instead of spending money on 2 8's, building boxes (they're worthless without enclosures), an amp, and wiring, use that money on more power for the coax's and subs.

The amp you use depends on what woofer it is. Dual 2 ohm? Dual 4 ohm? Dual 8 ohm? Just 1 speaker?

I don't know what you've been told, but mono class D amps are for woofers. Yes, another amp on the coax's. Don't try to use a 2-channel to power a sub and coax's, or even a 4-channel amp if you want it to sound like anything.

Sub amp: sub
4-channel amp: coax's.

BUT, something to keep in mind is that if you use the XS-650's, you'll need an amp that's stable enough to do that. Each 650 is 3.6 - 3.7 ohm, so when you wire 2 in parrallel, it drops the impedance below 2 ohm on each channel and most amps aren't stable with that kind of load. The Syn4 will do it, but not many other amps will. I don't know if the JL's will or not.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jonyb
Instead of spending money on 2 8's, building boxes (they're worthless without enclosures), an amp, and wiring, use that money on more power for the coax's and subs.

The amp you use depends on what woofer it is. Dual 2 ohm? Dual 4 ohm? Dual 8 ohm? Just 1 speaker?

I don't know what you've been told, but mono class D amps are for woofers. Yes, another amp on the coax's. Don't try to use a 2-channel to power a sub and coax's, or even a 4-channel amp if you want it to sound like anything.

Sub amp: sub
4-channel amp: coax's.

BUT, something to keep in mind is that if you use the XS-650's, you'll need an amp that's stable enough to do that. Each 650 is 3.6 - 3.7 ohm, so when you wire 2 in parrallel, it drops the impedance below 2 ohm on each channel and most amps aren't stable with that kind of load. The Syn4 will do it, but not many other amps will. I don't know if the JL's will or not.

I am running a mono sub amp for the 12" w6.

The 8"w3's will be in sealed boxes and on their own amp.

The high will also have their own 4 channel amp. Will power accordingly. The syn4 looks like the ticket especially since the 650's are actually less 4 ohm.

What would be a good amp to run the two 8" sealed?

Again, with running the two 8" along with the 12", what would be more beneficial - to run them as subs up to say 125 or 150hz with a sub amp. OR run them as mids and run the from say around 80 hz up to say 180 hz?

Regardless they will be sealed just wondering what way they would benefit the system.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I am running a mono sub amp for the 12" w6.

The 8"w3's will be in sealed boxes and on their own amp.

The high will also have their own 4 channel amp. Will power accordingly. The syn4 looks like the ticket especially since the 650's are actually less 4 ohm.

What would be a good amp to run the two 8" sealed?

Again, with running the two 8" along with the 12", what would be more beneficial - to run them as subs up to say 125 or 150hz with a sub amp. OR run them as mids and run the from say around 80 hz up to say 180 hz?

Regardless they will be sealed just wondering what way they would benefit the system.
The Syn1 or Syn2 would be good for the 8's, and I'd have them low-passed around 150hz, but the box should actually be built with that in mind.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

not a boat, bu in a old ranger i had, I used 1=12" 80 hz down 500 watts and two 8s, 250 watts apiece 60-200 hz or so, dont remember the settings but I used an MTX active crossover with hz, slope and freq boost. bass was insane.popped the back window out once and my hearing is permanently damaged. all sealed enclosures built to spec on the speakers. The enclosures and a good active crossover network will make a huge difference.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
not a boat, bu in a old ranger i had, I used 1=12" 80 hz down 500 watts and two 8s, 250 watts apiece 60-200 hz or so, dont remember the settings but I used an MTX active crossover with hz, slope and freq boost. bass was insane.popped the back window out once and my hearing is permanently damaged. all sealed enclosures built to spec on the speakers. The enclosures and a good active crossover network will make a huge difference.
At least with computers you need not hear. LOL... My ears are toast also. To many headers and expansion chambers.

I would say the other is a compliment... I've had some good base but never cooked a rear window. That's actually something to go down in you book of proud things.

Basically the same set up I am hoping to achieve. Rather than breaking in the rear window that I don'w have I just need to over power the twin BBC with CMI / dry pipes.

Either way I don't really plan on making very many friends.