Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Weiand 177 boost?? >

Weiand 177 boost??

Notices

Weiand 177 boost??

Old 01-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also be carefull on your flame arrestor had a h/p one from eddie marine that allowed almost no boost, talked to weiand, told me to try without....picked up 4.5 psi could not believe it !! so watch out there..Rob
Old 02-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
If you have a 3" top pulley, 7" lower and 454 cid you psi should have a threoretical 8.26#. I'd guess your top pulley is slipping. Touch it soon after a hard run and see how hot the pulley is to tell about slippage.
How do figure the 8.26#????? That is in the ballpark, but actual boost pressures will vary depending on the flow of heads and if there is an innercooler.
Also, do you mean his belt is slipping???? The pulley can't really slip unless the teeth are bad and that would only happen for minute until its destroys itself.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 177 blower has rib belt drive not gilmer tooth, usually 6 or 10 rib a weak tensioner spring could be the culprit
Old 02-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
How do figure the 8.26#????? That is in the ballpark, but actual boost pressures will vary depending on the flow of heads and if there is an innercooler.
Also, do you mean his belt is slipping???? The pulley can't really slip unless the teeth are bad and that would only happen for minute until its destroys itself.
I have a formula to calculate theoretical boost. This formula seems quite accurate if all is in order. I know it has been dead nuts on my 3 pulley changes.

Yes, pulley slipping under belt is what I was saying. I know on the smaller blowers when you get down in the 3" pulley range, this can become an issues. Maybe its a tension issue like doggiedave mentioned that shows itself when the contact area of the belt/pulley interface decreases too far.

FWIW, on a driven belt system, if I said the belt was slipping that would have indicated slippage between the belt and the crank pulley (driving member). The belt would have been slipping under the driven pulley. Since I said the pulley was slipping it meant the blower pulley. The belt (driving member) is driving the blower pulley and if the pulley is not moving at the correct surface speed, it means the pulley is slipping. If I said the blower shaft was slipping it would mean the keyed shaft inside the pulley (because the pulley is the driven member) and of course that would not last too long. Its all good Griff....... )

Last edited by blue thunder; 02-01-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My 177 10 rib belt would start slipping and I replaced it about every season, so I know what you mean. Just making sure I understood what you were saying.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I saw 5 PSI with standard pullies and 8 with smaller ones.I still have a set of smaller ones from my 177's if your interested.Also think i have a lower pulley and some belts.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fastlane40
I saw 5 PSI with standard pullies and 8 with smaller ones.I still have a set of smaller ones from my 177's if your interested.Also think i have a lower pulley and some belts.
Hello, I am interested in your smaller pullies and belts. What sizes and how much? Condition of the belts? Will measure mine tomorrow to compare sizes. Thank you....Kevin
Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered

I also have 2 of the splined shaft merc type pulleys. They are something along the lines of 2.85" diameter.

Griff, what indicated to you the belts were slipping, low boost?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Originally Posted by blue thunder
I also have 2 of the splined shaft merc type pulleys. They are something along the lines of 2.85" diameter.

Griff, what indicated to you the belts were slipping, low boost?
If I was cruising around 3500rpms and pushed the stick forward quickly, it was sluggish and the boost would only go up to about 4-5lbs when it should have went to 7-8lbs. I got the 10 rib belts at NAPA for about $40 and always just kept a fresh one on the boat. I actually had one completely shred apart during a high speed run.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
If I was cruising around 3500rpms and pushed the stick forward quickly, it was sluggish and the boost would only go up to about 4-5lbs when it should have went to 7-8lbs. I got the 10 rib belts at NAPA for about $40 and always just kept a fresh one on the boat. I actually had one completely shred apart during a high speed run.
Sounds like it was slipping all the time most likely, just less when new. What was the diameter and your cid? I'll tell you what your theoretical psi should have been w/ zero slippage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.