Installing transom mount water pickup

Notices

Installing transom mount water pickup

Old 04-16-2002, 12:14 PM
djm
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing transom mount water pickup

I'd like to move the pickup from the LWP Bravo to the transom. Is this doable? I won't be doing the work myself, I'm not comfortable cutting a hole under the waterline. I saw a 50 Hustler with #6 drives the other day, the pickups were near the drain hole and made of SS. Looked like a fixed speedometer tube. is that the preferred way to go? I hope the existing plumbing can be capped off. Has anybody done this before? Does the motor have to be removed to do this? Thanks, Dan
Old 04-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as cooling the motor there is no problem with doing that. It would be just like the TRS set up. There are a number of companies that make the pick ups. I think that Gaffrig sells them. I am not sure however if there is any cooling going on in the drive internally that needs to be addressed.

Jon
Old 04-16-2002, 02:26 PM
Brad Perry

I installed one to feed an intercooler. I think it was Rex marine. They had the nicest one's I've seen. No exposed fasteners and no corners. You can get them with various ends to put flar fittings on or pipe threads for a ball valve.

I have heard that you must route the old water output of the bravo (what is going to the raw water pump now) overboard to keep the cooling effect on the drive, not just cap it off.

Old 04-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Registered

This one is from IMCO
Attached Thumbnails Installing transom mount water pickup-wtr-pickup.jpg  
Old 04-16-2002, 06:20 PM
djm
Registered

If I pop a thru hull out the bilge, water won't be sucked through the drive. Will drag give pressure to cool the drive? How is the TRS drive cooled?
Old 04-16-2002, 10:33 PM
Registered

bravos and alphas have water going through them all the time that helps with cooling . alpha's have the raw water pump inside. trs's don't have any water flowing through them. they have an external pickup like you are talking about mounted at the transome that goes to the suction of the raw water pump at the engine. i would suggest using a drive shower if you switch to a transome pickup even if you discharge from your bravos current pickup through it and directly overboard. the reason is, you won't get nearly as much flow through it as you would with the raw water pump sucking and water pressure forced into the suction when running hard. there won't be any flow through your bravo at idle.
Fran
Old 04-18-2002, 02:35 PM
djm
Registered

Thanks for all the replies, I think I found the best alternative. The repair shop managed to get ahold of a Bravo case with normal water pickups. The entire swap will cost $300 and that should solve my dredging problems forever.