BW, C-72 Rebuild >

BW, C-72 Rebuild

Notices

BW, C-72 Rebuild

Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts
Default BW, C-72 Rebuild

To make a long story short I have a good frined of mine (GM Tech) who was going to rebiuld my tranny's. He is gone and I am left with one torn down and cleaned and the other one still together. I have the rebuild kits along with the manual that I ordered with the kits. He just dropped them off at my shop and I haven't had a chance to even look at them yet to see what I'm in for. Just thought I would get a heads up before I move forward this weekend.

I can't imagine this being a real difficult task. There is no valve body - correct? Any insight along with do's and dont's would be greatly appreciated. Tranny's are something I typically would farm out to an expert however given the area in which I live experts are difficult to find. Not only that I am interested and enjoy learning new things.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rebuilt one of my tranny's last year. not a big deal read the manual carefully. Take your time. the manuals are pretty well detailed it was my first tranny job ever. i was afraid before I did mine but now I wouldn't think twice it is as easy as it can get. pay attention to the c clips. the thicker c clip goes between the forward piston and drive plates. good luck
Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a hold of Steve Nykamp on the board his buddy who has a 36 Apache rebuilts transmissions. They are out of Grand Haven

Mark
Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Registered

BWs are so simple let me know if I can help. 19 years exp.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Their a piece of cake! the only thing i would reccomend is to extend the pick up tube for the pump if it hasnt been done already.. most of the oil ends up in the back of the trans when the boat is on plane and just keeps the tranny from starving for oil..

Last edited by FIXX; 02-02-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered

These are some good pointers and I appreciate it. I have a feeling that I will be back on here Monday aknowledging the simplicity of such. I'm actually looking forward to it. It's the middle of a cold winter and time to broaden my mind. Thanks for sharing tips and offering help.

John
Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MrCIG
Get a hold of Steve Nykamp on the board his buddy who has a 36 Apache rebuilts transmissions. They are out of Grand Haven

Mark
Is this Blue Moon your refering to? If so he is the guy who use to run a checkmate way back when out of GR. Is he on this board? I know he has a transmission shop also.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Registered

the tranny your working on is otherwise known as a velvet drive. extremely simple, been in production since ww2, in various versions and sizes. basically a planetary transmission. will need good snap ring pliers, pay particular attention to order in which clutch plates go in. there is what they call the selector valve, make sure it is not scored, and check the oil pump for scoring also. it basicly has 2 planetary gearsets. forward and reverse both identical. your biggest enemy will be dirt and varnesh. lacquer thinner or acetone will take care of that. having one that is still assembled. in dual instalations, the shift cables will be oposite on each. side for proper rotation. I worked on these when in USCG
Old 02-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by doggiedave
the tranny your working on is otherwise known as a velvet drive. extremely simple, been in production since ww2, in various versions and sizes. basically a planetary transmission. will need good snap ring pliers, pay particular attention to order in which clutch plates go in. there is what they call the selector valve, make sure it is not scored, and check the oil pump for scoring also. it basicly has 2 planetary gearsets. forward and reverse both identical. your biggest enemy will be dirt and varnesh. lacquer thinner or acetone will take care of that. having one that is still assembled. in dual instalations, the shift cables will be oposite on each. side for proper rotation. I worked on these when in USCG
Cool,
I'll let you guys know how it goes after the weekend.
Thanks,
John
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Registered

P.S I ment tell you that if you get stumped go to the unit tha is still assembled for clue cards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.