Fuel Sending Unit sick >

Fuel Sending Unit sick

Notices

Fuel Sending Unit sick

Old 04-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Sending Unit sick

I'm guessing that my one fuel sending units has gone terminal. I've checked the wiring, replaced the connectors, added a new ground, the gauges are new (actually 2 years old now).... The stbd gauge will sometimes read ok, sometimes the needle will read full and the light (integral to the Gaffrig gauges) read empty, sometimes both the light and the needle read empty, and it can cycle several times in a 2 minute period.

I can get to the senders, but anyone have a good guess as to the tank depth so I can get a new sender ready? It's a 1984 Formula F402. I havn't called the factory yet to see if they still have any specs for them, but when we called to check on the boat previously they had no record of this particular serial boat ever being built (but I do have the original Formula pre-delivery check list for it, and am reasonably sure it does indeed exist).

Thanks - Greg
Old 04-17-2002, 08:03 PM
Bo Knows

Greg

I put one on my boat last year that I ordered direct from Checkmate. When I got it I found that it was similar to the original one but it had an adjustable float assembly that would fit a wide range of fuel tank sizes. Kind of a universal, one size fits all type. I put it in, it was easy to install, easy to adjust & works great. I imagine the one you get will be the same. good luck!

Bo

Old 04-17-2002, 08:21 PM
Registered

Default forward proublem?

The gage and low indicator being out of sink make me suspect a gage proublem, not a sender proublem. The best way to tell is to switch the left and right tank wires at the gages. If the prob. stays on the same gages it isn't the tank's sender.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:26 AM
Registered

I don't know why the light and needle get out of sync, but am pretty sure it is not the gauge, as that tank had some occasional hick-ups before I redid the panels and installed all the new gauges. I'm assuming it has been dying for a while, and just keeps getting worse.

-Greg
Old 04-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Bo Knows

Greg

If you turn the ignition on & take the wire off of the sending unit on the tank and ground it, your fuel gauge needle should go to full. This is usually an indication that the gauge is ok and the problem is in the sending unit.

Bo

Old 04-19-2002, 08:13 AM
Registered

Bo -

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I'm working on it this weekend.

-Greg