Old 09-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool thread - thanks for sharing!
Old 09-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry to hear that you had problems with the quads Eric. When I saw them at Eddies shop....I said....he does know that the quads will not work (talking about the pullies and snouts) if he runs this thing hard. Eddie said he had talked to you about it already and you were going to address it later. Teague had my quads vented together and it would suck all the oil out of one blower and put it in the other one. Neither Teague nor the previous owner could figure out why it wouldn't work correctly. It would prematurely wear out bearings and cause blower problems. I brought the boat home after I bought it and called Eddie to come over and look at it. He looked over into the bilge and immedieately said "that vent system will never work". I changed the oil in the blowers and filled them correctly. I ran from the launch ramp to the dam (3 miles) and it took all the oil in the low side blower and filled the upper blower till it was completely full. I had my stuff with me, I sucked it out of one blower and filled the other one just to get back to the ramp. We changed all of the vent system to the way it should have been set up to start with. I asked Eddie if we needed to put his custom made shafts in it. He said, right now you are not driving them that hard, since they are so short, you will probably be fine...and I was. I ran around for 3 mths...got used to the boat and decided I was ready for a little more power. I turned the blowers a little faster....Eddie tuned it on the money.....telling me that the snouts would not live...I said....they will make the poker run in Destin...which they did and then I broke 3 out of 4 playing in the Gulf jumping waves running the boat pretty aggressively for the water conditions. We stayed down there for another week for vacation after the run. When I got home from Destin, I took all the snouts off and Eddie re-did all that stuff. I have not touched it since then. That was over a year ago. I have done several poker runs.....the shootout...etc..etc. and I have no more quadrotor issues. Eddie knows his chit on Whipples.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a simple problem with the pulley adapters. You would think Whipple would have straightened it out immediately. Makes you wonder about the engineering of other components. Beautiful pieces of work but you better have some experience with them to make them work. Eddie's got it worked out.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
This is a simple problem with the pulley adapters. You would think Whipple would have straightened it out immediately. Makes you wonder about the engineering of other components. Beautiful pieces of work but you better have some experience with them to make them work. Eddie's got it worked out.
SkiDoc- how are the quad rotor engines working, 2 seasons later? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Registered

Engines are running well. Eddie converted them to coil on plug ignition. We made the whipples self contained instead of pressure fed. My only problem has been little time to use them... I hope to get more time this year. I've about got all the changes made to the boat that I want to. I don't even think about reliablility of the engines, just crank and go. If you were asking more specifically about the quad whipples, I think they are right now. They make a very strong stud for the snout shafts, not the ARP, a new generation which looks even better than the ARP and I don't think I'll ever break it.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Registered

Engines are running well. Eddie converted them to coil on plug ignition. We made the whipples self contained instead of pressure fed. My only problem has been little time to use them... I hope to get more time this year. I've about got all the changes made to the boat that I want to. I don't even think about reliablility of the engines, just crank and go. If you were asking more specifically about the quad whipples, I think they are right now. They make a very strong stud for the snout shafts, not the ARP, a new generation which looks even better than the ARP and I don't think I'll ever break it.
Yes, I have my builder installing a quad rotor and I was interested in the stud failure your experienced. I assume the new stud is available from Whipple? Thanks.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
This stuff makes my blood boil. Any recoarse with these a!!holes?? Your friend owes you some money!!! What a bunch of low lifes.

" CALL TONY SOPRANO"
Jersy is his territory!! lmao
Old 03-16-2013, 02:11 AM
Registered

Any more info on the stud? Is this for the flange that the puppies mou t to?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Registered

When I get time today I'll take some pictures for you........
Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll post some photos tonight but the worst thing that happened could be titled "How to sink your boat with a vent tube." The boat was running terrific after we stopped after the first card stop. I was cruising at 115 and I felt something like a jerk in the steering wheel. I pulled back on the sticks as my first instinct was that something on the transom had broken..... Then the problem resolved and I got back up to speed. After we got our 2nd.card I thought it would be good to take a look at the engine compartment. There was black junk everywhere! Took me a minute to figure out what it was. The blower(not supercharger) vent tube came off and fell on the drive line. The thin metal wire whipped around and created a lot of damage. It caused a trim line to leak, nearly severed the water intake line. The water line was seeping water through the hose. It beat the fire out of the strainer and fittings. The boat really could have sank as I have no cut off on my through hull pick up. Metal and plastic were everywhere. A study in why every little thing must be over engineered. No ones fault. Eddie never touched these. First time the boat had ever been ran over 100mph for 40 some miles. Bob Teague told me to get those things off there. I
wrapped two entire rolls of electrical tape around the hose. We were going to limp the 40 miles back to the State Dock when the pulley bolts failed at about 2000 rpm. So we ended up idling 30 miles back to the dock. Just when I thought we were alright a thunderstorm with 60 mph winds and blowing rain hit. Just as the 3 ft. Swells hit I lost the motor that didn't have the blower turning which Eddie told me would happen. When we got back to the dock someone was in my parking spot. My wife told them I think I would move if I were you.
Eddie told me of the problem with the quads when I bought them, bottom line is listen to Eddie.....well maybe not about some things
Ski-Doc:

What an interesting thread and gorgeous engines. Do you have a shroud/cover for the jack shafts connecting your engines to the transom assy? In the photo it looks bare? If so I would definitely get thos covered-.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.