Tab won't go down (K-planes) >

Tab won't go down (K-planes)

Notices

Tab won't go down (K-planes)

Old 02-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Tab won't go down (K-planes)

I repowered last summer and repainted the engine bay. I removed and reinstalled the old kiekhafer trim tab pumps and hoses. They worked good for one weekend and then the starboard side only goes up and will not go down. It looks as if the tab has gone too far up as the cable looks like it was crushed a little (cable jacket is split at tab stop). The tab stop (not sure what its called, but keeps the tabs from going up too far) is bent in a little. Looks like the pump is pulling the tab up too far as it bent the stop and crushed the indicator cable so the cable is exposed to water. This was a new indicator cable.

When I try to put the tab down I get nothing. No noses, no pumping, nothing. Anybody have any suggestions? Do I just need to buy a new pump? I was thinking maybe a solenoid, but that wouldn't of caused it to go up too far.

These are circa 1990 Kiekhaffer K-planes and pumps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 02-22-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

try bypassing the relay by using a screwdriver to bridge the terminals on the down side relay.

Im not for sure on this, but i am pretty sure those pumps have a very high pressure output on one side, and lower on the other side. If you installed the lines backwards, maybe you could have done some damage.

Im guessing you have a relay issue, bad connection at the pump or switch.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:29 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnect the lines and see if you can move it by hand. You might have hit something without knowing it and jammed it too far. The pumps are strong but I doubt if they are powerful enough to start bending metal, especially a stop intended to STOP it. Just loosen the lines at the cylnder.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd flipflop your connections first. If that didn't move it. I would switch your hydraulic lines. I doubt theres a differience in pressure coming out of your pump. Your not going to hurt your cylinder unless something is bent or bound up. Maybe disconnect the idicator cable if it still doesn't move.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 182 Posts

Thanks, good info. I will try all of the above and report back.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Registered

Tap the motor with a hammer and try it, (if you feel its hooked up right). Arcticfriends did mine 4 years ago and it has worked ever since. PFM I guess.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Registered

PFM Gotta love it.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Check your switches. I have had similar things happen and everytime, it was just a wire on the back of the switch that came off.