Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
MSD on 525sc help!! >

MSD on 525sc help!!

Notices

MSD on 525sc help!!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just wanted to update everybody that helped me. i brought the boat to a buddy that has a engine shop. he does GREAT work, and he said that the msd 6A boxes will not work on the factory merc distributors. im assuming its a pickup problem. we went with a msd pro billet distributor, set the timing at 31 degrees, and he adjusted the carb a little. after all this, i could not be happier with the way the boat is running! it cranks and idles like never before, and feels so much stronger thru the entire rpm band. we took it out saturday and it ran like a greased top! again, thank you to everybody that helped on this! OSO is a great tool for the help we all need during the boating season.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost525
i just wanted to update everybody that helped me. i brought the boat to a buddy that has a engine shop. he does GREAT work, and he said that the msd 6A boxes will not work on the factory merc distributors. im assuming its a pickup problem. we went with a msd pro billet distributor, set the timing at 31 degrees, and he adjusted the carb a little. after all this, i could not be happier with the way the boat is running! it cranks and idles like never before, and feels so much stronger thru the entire rpm band. we took it out saturday and it ran like a greased top! again, thank you to everybody that helped on this! OSO is a great tool for the help we all need during the boating season.
I have seen them used, but I have no idea how they are hooked up. Congrats on your fix. Glad we could at least theorize on this for a while. Enjoy the summer.

If you need extra parts for that engine or know someone that does, I have a complete top end, blower, valve covers, belts, intake, extra pulleys I am trying to sell.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he was telling me that most msd boxes will work on the factory merc dist, just not the basic 6A box that i bought. not sure if thats right, but i trust his work and the boats running great now.

as for the parts, hopefully i wont need anything this year concerning the top end, but ill definetly keep it in mind if i know anyone looking around my area. thanks jeff