Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Running New colling hoses 502 MAG. Questions? >

Running New colling hoses 502 MAG. Questions?

Notices

Running New colling hoses 502 MAG. Questions?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Running New colling hoses 502 MAG. Questions?

I have a 2000 502 mag MPI that i converted to carb and a bunch of the cooling hoses are worn and one has a hole so i want to replace all. its like 300.00 for all factory mercury hoses, can i just use stright flex cooling hose like the one that is uded on the drive to seapump.

Would like to see pics of how people pumbed there motors, i would rather use by the foot hose from west marine, but dont know if i can make all the bends and stuff.

Oil cooler is vertical next to water pump (stock location) and the power steering cooler is on the top of bell housing in rear. Hose goes from sea pump to back of steering cooler then down up to front of oil cooler. Then the 1 inch exhaust ones go thermostate to emi headers.

If you have pics on how you ran your send them my way, thanks.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Transom to raw water pump is a suction hose and pretty stiff. Yes, you should be able to use "generic hose" with a little creativity. Check around and you prolly have a rubber and hose supply house in town. See if they have a catalog or something. Where you will likely run into problems is with a hose being different sizes on each end and some funny bends. You can work wonders with PVC pipe and adapters. If you are really good with the heat gun you should be able to make some bends by heating the PVC up. PVC adapters will allow you to change hose sizes mid hose or on the ends.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDog
Transom to raw water pump is a suction hose and pretty stiff. Yes, you should be able to use "generic hose" with a little creativity. Check around and you prolly have a rubber and hose supply house in town. See if they have a catalog or something. Where you will likely run into problems is with a hose being different sizes on each end and some funny bends. You can work wonders with PVC pipe and adapters. If you are really good with the heat gun you should be able to make some bends by heating the PVC up. PVC adapters will allow you to change hose sizes mid hose or on the ends.
thanks, but ened up going with stocl hoses, buy buddy works at merc dealer and got me everything for cost...i looked into finding my own hoes and it was going to be the same money . 139.00 for all hoses!!!