Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 rebuild or repower? >

454 rebuild or repower?

Notices

454 rebuild or repower?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, just the kind of comment I expected from someone. I do see your point, but the carbs were not left open, they had the flame arresters on them and the mercruiser plastic cover on top of that. It also had the mooring cover on it and it was secured by 10 tie downs holding the cover on the boat. A severe t-storm with 70-80 mph winds came through in the middle of the night and it ripped the cover off the boat (it snapped 5 of the tiedowns off of the mooring cover. Now how much more can I protect the boat when I do not have, or have acess to a garage to keep it in? Maybe I will have to eat the repair cost, but why should I be held accountable for a problem that I could not prevent? I thought that was why people had insurance in the first place.......
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a data point for those wondering how so much water could get in there.

I had my car outside with the injectors out of it, waiting on new ones, for a couple of days. The hood was on, and it was completely together except for the injectors. I put the new injectors in a few days later and went to start it, thunk, completely hydrolocked. I pulled the plugs, cranked her around a few times to pump out the water and it was fine. I still can't figure out how that water was able to fill the cylinders, but owning boats, we should all know that water is a clever beast.