496 Mag to HO >

496 Mag to HO

Notices

496 Mag to HO

Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Mag to HO

I've read some threads on this, sounds like a cam and a computer flash. What's the ballpark cost for that (parts), and is it worth it for 50HP?

Seems like a cam swap is a pretty simple job. I don't have alot of options for the 496 without spending a lot of dough.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

about 850.00 for the ecm change,,,about 300.00 350.00 for cam,,,,H.O. sticker priceless
Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

You are better off using Raylars cam than the HO cam. Easier to find, more HP and same price.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure Raylar will chime in on this. I have a question for Ray. If I install just your cam what kinds of gain could i expect in hp. Would i need to do the ECM?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:03 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink 496MAG to 496HO upgrade:

You can purchase Raylars replacement cam for the 496MAG for $476 and Raylar will reprogram the ECM with our program from stock MAG to our version HO program for $675. I reccommend also installing our valve spring, retainer, locks and seal kit for $293. the stock springs are just ok for the stock HO but if you are going to run the reprogrammed 5300 rpms of our ecm reflash you should upgrade with the spring kit. The result of this upgrade we dyno at 435HP with stock exhaust.

As for labor, there's no kidding , its a major piece of work, because in lot of boats, the engine has to come out to remove the front end of the engine and still have the 23" of forward clearance thats needed to remove the stock cam and re-install the new cam.

Not a job for a novice mechanic and a 1/2" air impact and big puller tool is needed to remove the balancer and reinstall to remove the timing cover for the camshaft install. Intake manifold has got to come off to access the lifters and both valve covers have to come off for pushrod removal. As for most Raylar customers very many choose at this point to install the whole Raylar 103 kit and end up with 525HP with stock exhaust and about 560HP with headers or header manifolds like the Dana System. The total labor in a shop will be similar for either choice since the work involved is very similar.

As for what improvement your boat will see with the addtional 65 HP - HO type upgrade or 150HP of the kit, that's up to your boat, it's setup and how well you get your prop reworked or changed to take advantage of the higher power, added torque and higher rpm rev-limit.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 04-15-2010 at 02:06 AM.