exhaust for 741 cam shaft whos running what >

exhaust for 741 cam shaft whos running what

Notices

exhaust for 741 cam shaft whos running what

Old 04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust for 741 cam shaft whos running what

Everyone i talk to tells me i need to run dry tails with this cam as i was getting some reversion with my gills and tall long wet tails. Can some one running this cam let me know what you are running for exhaust with out any issues, it is becoming a pain in the ass.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by rssteiny
Everyone i talk to tells me i need to run dry tails with this cam as i was getting some reversion with my gills and tall long wet tails. Can some one running this cam let me know what you are running for exhaust with out any issues, it is becoming a pain in the ass.

Thanks
I am surprised your getting reversion with that set up. We were running that cam back in the late 80's - early 90's with gils along with std. wet tails and no issues. Are you running mufflers or silent choice?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I am surprised your getting reversion with that set up. We were running that cam back in the late 80's - early 90's with gils along with std. wet tails and no issues. Are you running mufflers or silent choice?
Did they even have hydraulic rollers in those days?? I was still in elementary school!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered

Thanks
As i said in the other thread, i run these, but with full length stellings and dry pipes, obviously no issues there. Also ran it with stainless marine exhaust, standard bravo tails, no issues.

But i suppose every setup can be different, and weird things happen. Personally, i would just switch to full dry tails. Drill some holes at the very end of the tails in the water jackets to allow some water to mix at the end, to keep the platform cool. You'd be suprised how much water would come out of the ends even with two small 3/16 or similar holes.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Registered

no mufflers or silent choice, even kept idle up to 900 out of gear, does where the cam is degreed in at have any effect on it. here is pics of the tails and set up.
Attached Thumbnails exhaust for 741 cam shaft whos running what-100_2853-600-x-450-.jpg   exhaust for 741 cam shaft whos running what-100_3596-600-x-450-.jpg   exhaust for 741 cam shaft whos running what-pics-fit2-005.jpg  

Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Registered

no mufflers or silent choice, even kept idle up to 900 out of gear, does where the cam is degreed in at have any effect on it. here is pics of the tails and set up.
Are both engines reverting? I dont remember? just one bank? etc

New tails would be pricy! I think a good stainless welder guy can extend what you have to go thru the transom for waaayy less than new risers.

Also be sure those bungs for your egt sensors or whatever you got there are not leaking.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Did they even have hydraulic rollers in those days?? I was still in elementary school!
You funny funny ha ha. LOL.. Hey now I am only 42 but I realize it does seem like a long time ago.

On the flip side I can't see issues with that exhaust. Also it wouldn't make a difference where you installed the cam. The LSA remains the same. Hopefully some others chime in with your same set up. I would think there would be bunch of them out there. Are you sure your gils aren't cracked. That is pretty common also however you probably already checked that out.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Registered

You funny funny ha ha. LOL.. Hey now I am only 42 but I realize it does seem like a long time ago.

On the flip side I can't see issues with that exhaust. Also it wouldn't make a difference where you installed the cam. The LSA remains the same. Hopefully some others chime in with your same set up. I would think there would be bunch of them out there. Are you sure your gils aren't cracked. That is pretty common also however you probably already checked that out.
There only 2 years old and all looks fine.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
As i said in the other thread, i run these, but with full length stellings and dry pipes, obviously no issues there. Also ran it with stainless marine exhaust, standard bravo tails, no issues.

But i suppose every setup can be different, and weird things happen. Personally, i would just switch to full dry tails. Drill some holes at the very end of the tails in the water jackets to allow some water to mix at the end, to keep the platform cool. You'd be suprised how much water would come out of the ends even with two small 3/16 or similar holes.
You mean modifi the tails i have now.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Registered

You mean modifi the tails i have now.
Yea, thats what i meant. They can just cut the ends off, weld up a 3.5" pipe to the existing inner pipe, then weld a 4" outer pipe on, and tack weld some mini spacers on the back side at the end of the pipe to support the inner pipe. Some little spacers just in 3 locations, would allow all the exhaust water to dump right at the end of the pipe, which would allow you to use mufflers if you wanted to

A pinhole in one of those bung welds can spray a stream of water right up the riser to the manifold......as you can tell im just not a fan of them bungs lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.