Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
how much do i machine? >

how much do i machine?

Notices

how much do i machine?

Old 04-24-2002, 06:57 PM
Steve_H

yes dyno , i will have rods checked as well as the crank.

does anyone have any ballpark figures on how much this will cost me.

check crank
check rods
bore (8) cylinders .030 over
(8) new pistons
new bearings

Old 04-24-2002, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your engine builder is the bottom line on the price no matter what we say. However consider, you can go .060 over for the same price as .030 and get the benefit of the extra cubes. Also makes a C/R change to your benefit. See a good MARINE engine guy in your area. --- Jer
Old 04-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Registered

part #L2513F in PAW catalog is, forged TRW pistons .030 for 502 , speed pro rings, rod and main bearings and pins. $688
don't quote me but i'm guessing $150 to dip block, and install new freeze plugs and cam bearings, $8 per cylinder to bore, and the guy i go to doesn't charge me to check rods or crank.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:27 PM
Steve_H

jpclear , forgive my ignorence.what does C/R mean.

do i really want (1) 502 stock and the other .060 over?

i do like the idea of the extra cubes.

excaleagle42 , thanks for the info.

im feeling alot better about the whole thing.
i was expecting to hear cost in the 2000.00 range.

now if i can just get it done before memorial day weekend
at loto.

Old 04-24-2002, 10:21 PM
Registered

By C/R I meant compression ratio. Again, your local MARINE engine builder is the guy to give you the final on this. AND I DO MEAN A MARINE ENGINE BUILDER, NOT THE LOCAL STREET ROD BUILDER!!! If you find that guy and he'll get it done so that you can get it installed and running by "M" day I want to know who he is. That 502 should be a "bowtie" so .060 over will still leave you clean-up room for the next time you squeek it. Get it wet asap. --- Jer
Old 04-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Bo Knows

I've seen factory rebuilt motors that come with only one cylinder overbored that were installed in customers vehicles and have had no problems. I've also been involved with stock car motors that have 7 cylinders bored .060 over and one cylinder left stock. The stock cylinder is left in the position that has the easiest access from outside the car in case track officials want to "puff test" the engine for rules violation. These cheater engines have logged many trouble free high RPM miles on the race track. The ideal situation would be to have the whole motor done but you said you were on a tight budget and I just wanted to let you know 1 cylinder can be bored with no problems.

Bo

Old 04-25-2002, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it ,do all 8 cyl. its hard enough to match compress & piston weight when everybodies the same dimension.I have owned a shop for 23 years now and have built just about every kind of engine out there.I got into marine engines in the mid 80's and about to turn complete shop into nothing but marine repair.Just purchased 2000HP DTS dyno (same as Tyler Crokett).Dyno will be complete in about 6 weeks if anybodies interested.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:40 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

loto,

If you go the bore route, I have two sets of crank, pistons and rods for sale. The pistons are .060 over 502. All the parts are is good shape.

I am putting in a stroker crank with new rods and pistons.

mike
Old 04-25-2002, 01:49 PM
Registered

It just depends on what you want to do. I'm assuming the rest of the compnonents including the cam and lifters are in good shape. If you want to sleeve the one hole and run all standard pistons, this is perfectly acceptable. If you would rather bore the one hole to an oversize, this is also an acceptable repair. To address the balance issue, your machine shop would simply weigh the old piston/pin and match the weight of the oversize piston/pin to it. Both of these options will be much less expensive than a complete bore and rebuild. But if you feel the right thing to do is to completely rebuild the engine, no one is going to argue with that either. It's all in what YOU feel is the right way to do the job. Good luck on the project.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:20 AM
Steve_H

heres an update for anyone interested.

picked engine up tonight and paid bill of $1856.00

bored all (8) .030 over.

new j & e pistons.
new stock gm cam.
new bearings.
new timing chain.
decked the block.
new lifters.

those pistons and cylinders sure look pretty!!!

droped engine off to mechanic at loto where boat is.
he says she will be ready friday!!!!!

have my fingers crossed that new cam will be ok after reading about other guys having problems.

maybe ill see some of you guys at loto.

Lees Summit , Mo. Irish Wake

thanks again for the advice i got from the board.

Quick Reply: how much do i machine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.