Volvo Penta 5.7l hesitation >

Volvo Penta 5.7l hesitation

Notices

Volvo Penta 5.7l hesitation

Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Penta 5.7l hesitation

Have a 97 four Winns Unlimited 191 W/Volvo penta 5.7l gl. Carbureted, Holley 4bbl.

Question is... Starts, runs fine. When I get past 3/4 throttle the motor hesitates and slows down.(42mph) It doesnt sputter or want stall, just slows rpm and speed. I will pull the throttle back to 3/4 and it will take off to about 50mph. I have new fuel, fuel filter. Plugs, wires, and distributer all look good and fairly new and clean. Previous owner said last year. I still plan on changing them. It sounds and feels like a fuel delivery problem to me.
I understand this has a broad range of possible problems. I am looking for some ideas that may have completely passed me by. Thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

I had a '96 5.8l with fuel injecton (Ford 351) I had the same issue and was told the cap had hair line cracks causing arc to jump around. Mechanic changed the cap and never had that problem again.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Registered

distributer was fine. I rebuilt the carb. Took away the hesitation. Thanks