Gil exhaust install problem >

Gil exhaust install problem

Notices

Gil exhaust install problem

Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gil exhaust install problem

I have a 1987 Fountain 29 Fever with twin 454/370's. I am trying to install Gil exhaust but I am having a problem. I have been told that Gil exhaust will fit a boat with 33 inch centers and I have seen many fountains with the Gil exhaust as well. Problem.... The two center exhaust manifolds hit. The engines are 33 inch centers (33 inches center to center apart) Has anyone had this problem and know an easy way to fix. Engines have been aliened. I am contemplating milling the exhaust port surfaces of the Gil header about an eighth of an inch off of each center manifold to snug them up closer to the valve covers to give me more room. I am not sure how much to take off the face of the exhaust port. I have 1/4 inch space available between the manifold and the valve cover on one engine and only 1/8th inch on the other. Any better ideas? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the heads are stock GM sq port, they should fit. Some of the non-GM cast iron heads took a 33.5" CI to get the Gil's to fit. A slight milling job in each inside head should work. Are you tail pipes thru the transom? They can be a challenge to refit to existing transom holes.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

Default Can I mill the Gils?

I do have stock Mercruiser rectangular port GM heads. If I milled the Gils would that not have the same result as milling the heads? There looks like there is plenty of meat on the gils to do that. Also...will I have to pull an engine to install one or will I be able to slide the manifold in from the back?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Registered

Ben, in answer to your second question, they line up good with my exhaust tips. Will connect to the exhaust tips with a 10 inch rubber hose . The tail pipes end about 4 inches short of the tips.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I meant millling the inside of the manifolds, not the heads...sorry. The Gil's we bought were take-offs. We didn't have any problems but it is possible they could have been milled before we got them or maybe my CI was 33"+...can't remember