Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How many hrs before synthetic >

How many hrs before synthetic

Notices

How many hrs before synthetic

Old 04-25-2002, 09:19 PM
turbo2256

Default How many hrs before synthetic

how many hours before you switched to synthetic oil in the motor and which oil did you use... what weight

Old 04-25-2002, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 hrs. and I went to 10W40 Amsoil. Compression on all cylinders were equal at that point and are still the same today. On new engines the compression will vary from cyl to cyl until the rings seat. When they seat the compression will be very close on all of the cylinders. If you run the synthetic to soon the rings may never seat. Some rings seat almost immediately, but you still want some time on the motor with mineral before going synthetic.
Oh ya, it helps to run at wot to seat the rings. Be sure to vary the rpm though.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I ran about 15 hrs. before I switched. There is no reason to be in a rush because there is nothing wrong with mineral oil.
Old 04-26-2002, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by a friend who inspects million dollar engines after they let loose, that I should wait at least 20 hrs. He went into great detail as to why 20 hrs. but I do not remember, I just remembered the 20 hrs.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:24 PM
Registered

Merc. always used to have the customers bring new stuff back to us dealers for a 20 hr. check. Merc paid for that and then the oil change was done and we used to recommend Amsoil 15/40 marine for the average user and 20/50 HD for the "hammer down guy". The way the engines are being built from the factory now is with smooth bores and hard rings. Very little break in reqd. So, if this is a 2000 or newer factory motor, go 10 hrs. for cam, valve train, and lower end comfort. (all critters that live in close proximity and creat friction have to spend a little time getting comfortable with each other) Otherwise go the whole 20 and then go synthetic. Have fun! --- Jer
Old 04-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Registered

Merc. always used to have the customers bring new stuff back to us dealers for a 20 hr. check. Merc paid for that and then the oil change was done and we used to recommend Amsoil 15/40 marine for the average user and 20/50 HD for the "hammer down guy". The way the engines are being built from the factory now is with smooth bores and hard rings. Very little break in reqd. So, if this is a 2000 or newer factory motor, go 10 hrs. for cam, valve train, and lower end comfort. (all critters that live in close proximity and creat friction have to spend a little time getting comfortable with each other) Otherwise go the whole 20 and then go synthetic. Have fun! --- Jer