repair a trim cylinder? >

repair a trim cylinder?

Notices

repair a trim cylinder?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repair a trim cylinder?

Has anyone ever successfully repaired the threads on a trim cylinder? finalizing assembly on my rerig ,and have one cylinder (port side part no. 09703) that the threads are wiped out. This will be the only thing holding me up from getting on the water for memorial day. Dont really see how it would work , but thought i would ask. . . or if someone close wants to sell me one, where i could have it by friday. I am in Mobile , Alabama.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a brass fitting which has male pipe threads (1/8") on one end and on the other end the inverted flare which fits your trim hose (probably 3/16"). These can be found at a auto parts store. Drill out the hole in the trim cyl. and tap for the 1/8" pipe thread. Install the fitting and connect the line to it.

Of course to do this you will need to disassemble the cyl. so you can clean out the metal shavings from drilling and taping.
What is this you are working on?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Find a brass fitting which has male pipe threads (1/8") on one end and on the other end the inverted flare which fits your trim hose (probably 3/16"). These can be found at a auto parts store. Drill out the hole in the trim cyl. and tap for the 1/8" pipe thread. Install the fitting and connect the line to it.

Of course to do this you will need to disassemble the cyl. so you can clean out the metal shavings from drilling and taping.
What is this you are working on?
Jim,
thank you for the response. I have been working on getting my boat back together rather intense over the last month. At the end of the year last year , I sold my stock power and thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the engines. The weather was nasty here so I didnt do anywork at all until about 1.5 months ago. It started as Engine swap , changed into I am going to tidy the bilge and repaint , to well I might as well go a little further and buy new bilge pumps, blowers, change out all cushion clamps , every piece of hardware and aluminum backing plate on the rear of the transom , through transom hydraulic lines , remove gimbal housings , find corrosion behind inner transom plates , toss them buy more. Plumb in sea strainers, strip and paint drives, must now have bigger props , buy them . All new stainless lines for drives . What else is there , the list goes on. Man how dumb was i for dismantling a boat that ran pretty darned ok . Anyways .... I have been working day and night , for over a month, getting up at the crack of dawn on both days of the weekend, staying with it until after ten most nights, with the hopes of running before summer officially kicks in. Well guess what its crunch time , and memorial day weekend is here . I am super close ,both motors running , drives hung , ready to plumb on tuesday,and checking new lines in trim cylinders , and guess what.... last line going on is totally stripped. Not a lot of marine salvage here so i posted last night as a last ditch effort in attempt to get a little reprieve from my exhausting efforts and maybe , just maybe get to see the water this weekend. I am totally bummed out because today I was swamped at work and had zero time to try and locate parts. A dear friend that I made in the sale of my stock power called me this morning to try and help (on his day off to work on his repower) had found me a cylinder that he can ship to me tommorrow and I have by friday , but just not sure if I will be able to make it all come together. I am mentally and physically worn out on this project and seriously am not sure how much more my family can take of me being so involved..... I might just need to go grab some beer and food to grill and stay home for the weekend.... yes I am almost over it....
I think your idea may work and i am going to try it tomorrow . Fortunately for me I have a fully involved machine shop and can modify what is needed, I just wanted to see if anyone else had ever had a similar issue. All of my threads from the transom,back looked less than desireable and I should have known better than waiting till the last minute to try and assemble . So now I am paying the price for assuming.
Sorry for the long winded writing , but I have wanted to start a thread about all of the trials and tribulations of my efforts , but havent ,mainly because of some of the awesome rerigs I have seen on here, and mine is probaly miniscule in comparison...