Help me  start this 502! >

Help me start this 502!

Notices

Help me start this 502!

Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I say let it sit for a couple more days then try again.........

Just kidding, It sounded like a fuel delivery problem until you said you hit it with some starting fluid and nothing still. Check for spark at the plugs. If you have a spark tester use that. And run the bilge blower for at least 4-5 minutes before you test for spark!!! If no spark then pull the cap and inspect along with all other connections.

Then check the kill switch
Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried with new plugs nothing, used starter fluid nothing. let boat sit for a few days. Go to start, fires almost instantly and dies. Ii crank it some more almost starts, but doesnt and then nothing. I pump the throttle smell fuel im getting nothing and give up again..
If you can smell fuel , fuel delivery isnt a problem. check for spark.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

I confirmed that i am getting spark, Must be fuel problem. I poured gas/starting fluid into carb and still wont start. I tried for about 45 minutes and got it to fire once for a bout a second or two and died right away. then nothing after that. Im just going to have to bring it in, because I don't know much about carburetors. thanks guys
Old 05-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by cass236
I confirmed that i am getting spark, Must be fuel problem. I poured gas/starting fluid into carb and still wont start. I tried for about 45 minutes and got it to fire once for a bout a second or two and died right away. then nothing after that. Im just going to have to bring it in, because I don't know much about carburetors. thanks guys
where are you getting spark @,,@ the sparlplug? or checking at the coil?

If you got fuel and spark?? mabe timing chain..
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
where are you getting spark @,,@ the sparlplug? or checking at the coil?

If you got fuel and spark?? mabe timing chain..
i put on a tester that plugs into the end of the spark plug wire and then hooks to a ground. I saw spark while cranking the motor over.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Couple of thoughts.....Even though you saw spark, it may be cold. If your distributor has points. take the cap of, check for moisture, check rotor tip for burn and file the points. Check the coil posts/conductor terminal ends for corrosion. Check the coil wire ends/coil socket for corrosion.

Use fresh gas, add a little injector cleaner and fill a pumping oil can to fill the carb air horns/float bowls. (If the air horns turn down, connect the oil can and air horn with a hose.) It will probably be flooded now, so open the throttle and turn it over until it starts.

I'm guessing it will run and die....Do the same thing again, the injector cleaner will have a chance to work....Do this 4 or 5 times.

Then, change the fuel filter and fill the new filter with the mixture of gas and injector cleaner. Prime the bowls again and start it. It will probably run and die. Then, remove the pickup tube, check the screen if equipped and the anti-siphon valve. I would guess the anti-siphon check ball is stuck. If the anti-siphon valve is stuck, ports in fuel pump are probably plugged also.

Good Luck !
Old 05-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Registered

I almost had it going today, I primed it by pouring some fuel directly into carb. I would open throttle and crank for about 5-10 seconds until it would start to fire and pop off a couple times but would not continue to run. I repeated this process several times and it seemed to be getting close to running on its own. I then smelled a unfamiliar smell. I figured the starter was getting to hot so i let it sit for a while, when i went to try it the starter seems to be fused up or something, wont turn just clicks. What do you guys suggest sierra or what? should i just order it off the net? or can i go to o riellys
Old 06-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

Just thought i would update what the problem was. Shop said there was no spark?? I saw spark, but they replaced cap and rotors and a coil. Got it running said it wouldnt stay running because choke linkage was messed up and stuck on choke. finally got to use it today and boat ran great, now i just need another 100hp Or a new hull