Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bill Gibbs Racing Oil >

Bill Gibbs Racing Oil

Notices

Bill Gibbs Racing Oil

Old 06-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a good alternative would be royal purple, its about $2 more a quart but is a very good oil, I use the "street" version even in my race car...Rob
Old 06-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for all the feed back. My engine builder highly recommended Bill Gibbs oil because of the Zink content. I am running flat tappet cams, so for me, to spend alittle more on oil changes and extend the life of my engines.....Im in !
Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand the zinc deal. but it would seem to me that within the context of the new formulations required by law, that the chemists at mobile and castrol and the rest have worked that out...

which begs this serious question...

do you actually believe that a quart of oil that you found in your garage unopened from 15 years ago would be a superior lubricant across the board to the same product produced today ?

i don't. i think a top of the line , off the shelf , pure synthetic
made by mobile or castrol or any of the others would generate better results in any objective scientificly based test regime that it could be subjected to.

i am skeptical that a modern flat tappet motor could have such extraordinary oil requirements as to require some
" home brew" oil company to create something from scratch. the metallugy is well understood by everyone involved.

why re invent the wheel. everyone wants to believe there is always some magic bean or trick required that the factories are too stupid to think of... drilling holes in thermostats , running bizzare clearences, all the usual mythologies but the fact of the matter is that very very rarely does the aftermarket do something materially better than the factories do.

and this magic bean snake oil is , in my opinion, very likely to be just another case of white shoes, plaid pants marketing BS
Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kreed
Thanks for all the feed back. My engine builder highly recommended Bill Gibbs oil because of the Zink content. I am running flat tappet cams, so for me, to spend alittle more on oil changes and extend the life of my engines.....Im in !
I hope your engine builder is smart enough to realize there is no such thing as "Bill Gibbs" oil. I've heard of Joe Gibbs Oil but...
Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Zinc became a major player in flat tappered cams in the NASCAR world; that's not the only thing it helps with but a big part of it ... Our oil is less than half the price of Gibbs oil. Would be glad to get anyone some sent out to test. I run the renegade 20w-50 part syn in my boat.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

P.s. One of childress demo cars just dynoed ours against Gibbs and it out performed on that particular car and motor.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HighPriority
Brad Penn oil also is very high in Zinc.
+ 1
Old 06-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.goldenmotorguard.com/

If you are looking for zinc.

Ken
Old 06-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
I hope your engine builder is smart enough to realize there is no such thing as "Bill Gibbs" oil. I've heard of Joe Gibbs Oil but...
Ooops. Hahhaaha, sorry. At least I ddnt say Andy Gibb Oil!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Registered

I would just like everyone to know the remaining amount of ZINC and Phosphorus in my AMSOIL Series 2000 Racing Oil 20w-50 after 60 hours. My Zinc content was 1389ppm and Phosphorus was 1306ppm. Thats after a hard season of running. Also remember, if the formulation isn't exactly right, and you have too much ZINC, the oil WILL foam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.