Captain's choice wont stay open >

Captain's choice wont stay open

Notices

Captain's choice wont stay open

Old 06-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Captain's choice wont stay open

Hello all... I have a 2000 Checkmate with a 454 and it came with Captain's Choice. I have two issues with the system lately... first is at start up. If I have the switch on when I turn the key you can hear them open but once she fires up they are shut. If I raise the rpm's slightly, they will open and stay open at idle and lower speeds.

The other issue is when I get to w.o.t. and trim out they close up again. Wiring seems fine and this doesn't strike me as a simple power problem. Anyone have any ideas, just thought I would ask here. I am gettin ready to just lock them open but sometimes it's nice to have, especially when coming up the canal late at night.

Thanks for your time...

Brian
Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Registered

Could be a ground issue. It is hard to tell a simple wiring problem just by looking at the wires. I would say it could be a solenoid, but Im guessing that they are both having the problem at the same time??

Still could be the solenoid.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine did the sam thing with previous owner and burnt up one of the motors. I removed them completely and put a large zip tie on it to hold them open until I can replace
Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Make sure you are getting proper voltage to the solenoids and that the flaps are fully opening (adjust by loosening jam nut at piston). If those two things check out, replace the solenoids.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Is it the Merc system? If so, I don't think it's an electrical issue. The system is air actuated. Probably a leak somewhere.

I had the same issue and used zip ties like kyboy mentioned. I've since removed the entire system.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered

Had the same issue, it eneded up being low battery (Dead Cell) Boat was a 07 with 525's, battery would show a charge but dump when placed on a load. As far as when you are up and running....might be the low voltage at start up is not opening them completely. Load test your batts.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Default Dumped Switchable Exhaust

got tired of replacing failed solenoids, installed turn downs, no moving parts. It is quiet when slow and open when on plane. Slow is when you usually need it to be quiet when you are docking or moving through canals.

Also, when in motion at 900 rpm in gear, the end's of the turn downs come out of the water for a second or two giving a nice little rumble that lets you hear it so you don't forget something is nasty under the sunpad.

Last edited by 88Fount33; 06-18-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: a little noise now and then
Old 06-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Registered

Thanks guys... will look at all. If nothing else I too will be tying them open. I much more preffer the sound anyway but only trying to be respectful when I come in late at night (happens quite a bit). The set up is definitely electric and has the solonoids, not the air actuated system. I have been having a slight battery issue so maybe that's it. Was hoping to get another season out of them but maybe it's time.

Thanks again...

Happy cruising people!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my last boat they would not function properly if they were turned on when I was starting the engine. Shut them off and then start or turn them off and then back on. The solenoids draw one amperage to open and then a lower amperage to keep them open. Good luck
Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Plaineman
Thanks guys... will look at all. If nothing else I too will be tying them open. I much more preffer the sound anyway but only trying to be respectful when I come in late at night (happens quite a bit). The set up is definitely electric and has the solonoids, not the air actuated system. I have been having a slight battery issue so maybe that's it. Was hoping to get another season out of them but maybe it's time.

Thanks again...

Happy cruising people!!!

There is an opening amp draw and holding amp draw... the latter pulling less amperage. If both are acting the same way, I would also suggest the problem is in your battery.

Good Luck!