Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Servicing Question? >

Servicing Question?

Notices

Servicing Question?

Old 05-02-2002, 03:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to find the pump wherever you find Merc gear lube (lubrimatic makes one too). Any West Marine or Boat/US should have it. It fits on the 1 quart bottles and is a lot less messy than filling with the tubes of gear lube. It looks like this.

As for the weekend, if you don't have a local source, call George at www.boatfix.com (609-625-9424). He overnighted me an impeller last year, has good prices and doesn't over charge for shipping (just his actual cost). Good Luck.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:31 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Call Doller or Bam and have them next day one out to you! Both of these Companys are on this board and very helpfull.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:19 PM
Registered

You can also find one of those drive lube pumps @ wal mart or k mart in the marine or sporting goods section.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:24 PM
Registered

Also on the topic of your water problem if you have a large garbage can or a large watering trough you can take your prop off and lower your drive into the full can or thank. But you will have to keep your water hose running in the tank to keep it full.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:56 PM
Registered

I had the identical problem this year with my new water pump not pumping off the muffs - bravo 1 as well. I thought maybe I had a restrition in the outdrive water passage. I removed water pickup hose that connects to the transom and put my garden hose it there. Then after about 10 seconds engine run time I had great flow out the exhaust. I reconnected (double clamp this time) the hose to the transom and hooked the muffs up again. This time I had good flow out the exhauast. The pump either needed to be primed or I had an air leak at the hose connection to the transom.

About that mechanic... I would ask the same question again about filling the drive and if I got the same stupid answer would run out of there screaming never to return!!!

BT
Old 05-02-2002, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok here's the latest. I called Boat US this morning and ordered the pump overnight per someone's request on this thread. $10 part, $25 shipping. Problem solved. (If it shows up tomorrow)

I would like to again thank everyone on this board for thier help. I can't say enough about the people here. Best site there is, hands down! Thanks again guys!!!

I was considering using the said dealer for some occasional service needs this summer. I will have to seriously reconsider that for now. Can't believe it myself.

The water deal.......I'll figure it out later. Will look for the Merc special Bravo muffs in the future. Not too worried about it now. Just ready to go to the lake with lube in the drive.

Thanks again guys!!!!!!!

Buck
Old 05-02-2002, 10:33 PM
rpm

Default Gear Lube

Make sure you only use Mercruiser Hi-Perf gear lube or equivilent in your Bravo. The premium blend is not compatible with the hi-perf, nor will it properly lube your Bravo. End result being BANG in a very short period of time ----- minutes under heavy load.

Old 05-02-2002, 10:59 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fill advise is right on, just as find a new mechanic. Something is seriously wrong with his advise.

As to water muffs.......
I used to use the ones that clamped onto the outdrive, but one time it slide down and I didn't catch it in time. It toasted my sea water pump. With the advise of the Merc parts person, I bought the Mercruiser muffs that have the wire that goes thru the hole in the outdrive to hold the muffs tight and in place. I used this for the last 2 yrs with no problem. Last week I used it again, same as always. Tons of water leaking past the muffs. ( Normal until motor starts, at which point it will pull the water in) But for some reason, no water would go up the outdrive, even with water on full. Toasted a brand new pump again! Thought I had a plugged supply line and pulled drive back off. All was clear. The Merc muffs would not even force the water up the 10" of rise thru the drive with it off the boat. Put the cheap muffs back on, and presto, full flow. Threw the Merc muffs in trash! The Merc ones have larger, but more flexible cups. Wouldn't make for a good seal on the outdrive even with me holding them tight.

I always open water 1/2 flow until motor starts, then all the way open. ........Shut off motor, then water.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:08 PM
Registered

Overnight shipping is a beautiful thing. It's amazing how cheap $25 seems for shipping a $10 1 lb part when it means getting out on the water for the weekend or not.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might want to recheck your impellor if you had any question of water supply. It only takes a few seconds of running dry before the impellor is worthless.

Quick Reply: Servicing Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.