Servicing Question? >

Servicing Question?

Notices

Servicing Question?

Old 05-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Servicing Question?

Purchased my Scarab in August of last year. It was dealer serviced when I bought it. Being a do-it-yourself person, I did my own service this spring.

When I put the muffs on my Bravo 1 I'm having trouble getting water up through the engine and out the exhaust. Am I not turning the water pressure up enough? Yes, the impeller is good. It was new in August. I haven't been turning the hose all the way up, just about half way. The enging is not getting hot after about 8-10 minutes of running, just can't seem to get enough water through it. The exhaust is getting pretty hot though. The engine temp comes up really slow and hasn't gotten over 175 yet.

After draining the Bravo with no problems I can't seem to get the right amount of gear lube back into it. The manual says the Bravo should hold 2 quarts plus reservoir. I've only got about 3/4 of a quart to go in. Won't drain down any further. I have let it sit in the driveway for three days with the reservoir cap off with no luck. I have even run it in gear at idle for a few minutes to help circulate. Any ideas?

Talk to me guys. I'm new at this. Show me the force!

Buck
Old 05-01-2002, 09:49 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Merc sells a red muff that fits the Bravo, it is the only one that I've seen supply enough water to the motor.

You MUST fill the drive from the bottom drain till it seeps out the top vent plug. West marine or other supply places have the hose,adapter and pump kit to do this. Do a search on filling the drive we have talked about it many times

Hope this helps. 2.8 to 3 quarts
Old 05-01-2002, 09:51 AM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure of your water problems,when I run my 500efis through the fresh water flush I turn the hose on about 1/2 -3/4 open,usually my temps. run about 140-150 on hose.
As to the lube issue are you pumping it up from the drain plug,or trying to just pour in the resivor????Leave the vent plug out,and then connect the pump hose to bottom drain plug,fill to vent plug,put vent plug back in, then continue filling till resivor is full.
Steve
Old 05-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Registered

I may have a dillema (sp) if this is the case guys. I am planing on going to the lake this weekend. I will have no way of getting the hand pump I need to fill my drive from the plug. Am I screwed? Or do I have any other options?

The mechanic at my local marina said he just fills the Bravo through the reservoir. Is he full of it?

Thanks again.

Buck
Old 05-01-2002, 07:56 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Get another mechanic. You CAN NOT properly fill the drive through the reservior. It must be pumped from the bottom up.Maybe he means that you can top off the fluid from the reservoir, if it has not been emptied out.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:20 PM
Registered

OK, that's been established. Am I still screwed for this weekend though? Do I have any options to get lube into my drive without the pump?

Something else that doesn't make any sense at all to me. If the Bravo 1 takes a special muff to get water up into the motor, how can water get up into the motor at idle on water without being pressurized? I have my hose turned up all the way forcing water into the drive and it won't do it. But a drive sitting idle in the water will pull water up by itself? Doesn't make sense to me guys. Help me here, I'm new to this!

Buck
Old 05-01-2002, 11:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the tubes you can jam it in the drain hole and squeeze the tube to force the lube up into it. The pumps are available all over the place though. As for the water-you are submersing the drive in the water-this puts positive pressure on the outside of the housing and completely immerses the pickup.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:46 PM
Registered

insptech is right, you can fill it with the tubs of gear oil that have a nozzle on them. I have done this a couple of times in a pinch. Just don't do it in your drive way because it's messy. Try going to some hardware stores or a good auto parts store. Most of them around here have the pump. It is only about $8 or $9 and just screws on top of the oil jug with about a 3 ft hose and the screw in adapter. If your mechanic indeed fills the whole drive from the top, run very fast and don't look back. As far as the water muff, is the water just spraying all over, out of the muffs instead of going into the motor. Probably not. If the motor is not getting hot in 10 minutes then I'm thinking it doesn't have a thermostat or restrictor so there is no pressure to force the water out the exhaust and it just comes out of the prop, if it is a stock setup.
Is all of the water coming out the prop?
I hope this helps!
Old 05-01-2002, 11:58 PM
Registered

Thanks 28Eliminator, I think you've helped some.

Is there a special name for this pump I can use when asking my auto parts store for it? Does it have a handle to pump it or something?

For the record......"The Mechanic" has never touched my boat. This was a local boat dealership. I was speaking to thier service manager and he told me that's what they did on the Bravo 1's. Seems kind of odd to me. Happens to be the biggest dealer in the area. ????? I don't know.

I will try and find some sort of pump to get the oil up into the drive. Can't stand the thought of missing out this weekend!

This whole water deal is still messing with me though. Anyone?

Buck
Old 05-02-2002, 02:27 AM
Blueman

Just a thought, I would turn water on all the way to keep system pressure up because if you have to much air you may not be getting a true temp reading plus the cause of hot exhaust. Like i said just a thought also fill your drives from the bottom like these members said or you will waste your drive. Good luck

Quick Reply: Servicing Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.