Popping out the exhaust >

Popping out the exhaust

Notices

Popping out the exhaust

Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping out the exhaust

Hey guys, I have a boss 302 with 454 mpi's in it. I noticed that the port side engine started popping through the exhaust while I was out. This happen after I was cruising around for about a half hour. I noticed the temp was around 185. I shut off the engine for about ten min. and it went away when I started it back up. Then was out running around and about 15 min. it did it again. Then again the temp was up around 185. Seems like i had a problem with the thermostat and I took it home and took it out and let it run on the hose in my driveway for 30 min with no problems and the temp never got hot.
The other engine didnt have a thermostat neither and that one never goes over 120. I havent taken it out for another sea trial yet to see if it goes away...
Anything I should look into before I try again. I would say the motor is good , no bent valve doing this because it comes and goes. Any help would be great...
Old 07-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

You will never get real world water temps while running on the hose. All MPI engines should run 160* Tstat.