496 HO water leakage mystery

Notices

496 HO water leakage mystery

Old 07-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrydet
Sir:
I would predict you are leaking water at the rear of your water pump while underway. I had mystery water also. No leak at rest or idle. If you can, crack open your engine hatch while someone else is operating the boat. Forward speed combined with water pump pressure will allow a weak valve on the rear of the water pump to leak. Peak inside and verity. The valve controls the quick drain system. It seems to be a frequent problem with the 496 power system. I had to replace the rear assembly on the water pump to stop the leak. Thank goodness for warranty.
my seapump didnt have those valves mine had them on exhaust only
Old 07-14-2010, 05:08 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

One thing I have noticed is that when I pull the boat out of the water, my port side low water pick up will drip water out of it for days. The starboard one will only drip for a couple of hours. I wonder if this is a direct result of the other problem I'm having?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
you can restrict the c hoses on the exhaust with clamps and that will raise your pressure if you do this in the water you should be able to check every hose from transom to those c hoses on riser

This sounds like a good idea. I wonder if I might be able to get the pressure high enough on the hose this way?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Registered

Just a thought I had one of my quick drain actuator valves, you know the one the blue hand pump opens go bad and at about 3000 rpm underway it would start to open filling the bilge.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bills2004svt
Just a thought I had one of my quick drain actuator valves, you know the one the blue hand pump opens go bad and at about 3000 rpm underway it would start to open filling the bilge.
Where would it puke the water?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
Where would it puke the water?
this is what I ment ,pump some air in the shreader valve and this will show you the answer,it should drain out all of the water ,then pull the ring next to the shreader to close the system.those valves are only for winterizing I had to remove mine as they went bad ,I bought some barbed fittings from teague that worked great I eliminated entire system it couldnt handle the pressure from running Imco lower at speeds near 100 mph I tried regulating the pressure created new issues

Last edited by crayolacrazy; 07-14-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

Are you saying that if I pump up the system with the schrader valvei t will pump water out of the areas that are leaking along with the normal dump spot?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered

It would puke the water into the bilge a pretty good amount above 3000 rpms or so. I was fortunate enought to be able to see both valves when running. I know a friend of mine just cut a quick piece of PVC to bypass his when his starboard one went bad to narrow it down.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Registered

I had a mystery leak for 2 seasons checked everything several times over, check the speedo connection where it comes thru the transom on inside of the transom assmbly, your leak sounds very similar and my speedo worked fine, would spray water up on back of engine so I thought it was cooler or exhaust, could unplug the speedo on the outdrive and see if it stops, just and idea, goodluck
Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
I had this happend to me a little blockage in the oil cooler,enough water passage not to overheat .blockage created pressure and the brass blowoffs under the exhaust would drain into the bilge when I would stop no leaks it took a long time to sort that out. I ended up putting sleeves in place of them as they went bad it seamed like springs in those gadgets got week,go for a run then feel those drains ,if you want to see where they drain pump air into the valve on front of the engine and it should push the water out of the spot Im talking about. SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS.hope this helps
+1 flush your system and the results might please you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.