496 HO water leakage mystery >

496 HO water leakage mystery

Notices

496 HO water leakage mystery

Old 07-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 496 HO water leakage mystery

Hello, I just picke up an 04' 29 Outlaw with the 496 HO's in it and I'm having problems locating a leak. Can someone point me into a general direction? When the boat sits in the water for an extended period of time there is no water in the bilge. When I start running the boat up to cruising speed water will start to collect in the bottom of the bilge. Run the boat wide open and in a matter if minutes ten minutes The bilge pump will kick on. Run it a normal cruising speed and water still collects but not as fast. I have looked everywhere in that engine compartment while under way and can't find anything. Both pumps and fittings around them feel dry. I even tried running it on the hose for a while but there doesn't seem to be enough water pressure to reproduce what is happening on the water. Is there a way to create more water pressure while running on a hose? Any help would be great, I'm at my whits end with this.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Speedo pick up hose?

I have the exact same thing in both of my boats. One of them I just found out the other day was a loose hose clamp on the exhaust. Still looking in the other boat.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 AM
Registered

I don't think it's the speedo pick up hose. The speedo works fine.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boat did the same thing. It was a exhaust clamp leaking at cruise.

You may be able to use some baby powder around suspect areas.... easy to see leaks.

good luck
Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

check the hose that runs from the back of the transom,,,to the water pump,,,,its up high up on the transom,,,looks like a small thermostats housing,,,see if it is getting wet after a run,,,should be easy to tell
Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Is the water hot or cold?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Registered

I spent 2 hours with a mirror today trying to find the problem. I think I might have narrowed it down to the oil cooler area. All the fittings in the area of one of the coolers is are very corroded. The other cooler looks clean. Of course it's the one that has the cooler between the two motors. It's never simple. Is there a way to pressurize the system while the boat sits on the trailer to test my theory? It would be better than trying to hold a mirror under there at 60 mph.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default leak

Sir:
I would predict you are leaking water at the rear of your water pump while underway. I had mystery water also. No leak at rest or idle. If you can, crack open your engine hatch while someone else is operating the boat. Forward speed combined with water pump pressure will allow a weak valve on the rear of the water pump to leak. Peak inside and verity. The valve controls the quick drain system. It seems to be a frequent problem with the 496 power system. I had to replace the rear assembly on the water pump to stop the leak. Thank goodness for warranty.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered

I had this happend to me a little blockage in the oil cooler,enough water passage not to overheat .blockage created pressure and the brass blowoffs under the exhaust would drain into the bilge when I would stop no leaks it took a long time to sort that out. I ended up putting sleeves in place of them as they went bad it seamed like springs in those gadgets got week,go for a run then feel those drains ,if you want to see where they drain pump air into the valve on front of the engine and it should push the water out of the spot Im talking about. SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS.hope this helps
Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Registered

Arrow

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
Hello, I just picke up an 04' 29 Outlaw with the 496 HO's in it and I'm having problems locating a leak. Can someone point me into a general direction? When the boat sits in the water for an extended period of time there is no water in the bilge. When I start running the boat up to cruising speed water will start to collect in the bottom of the bilge. Run the boat wide open and in a matter if minutes ten minutes The bilge pump will kick on. Run it a normal cruising speed and water still collects but not as fast. I have looked everywhere in that engine compartment while under way and can't find anything. Both pumps and fittings around them feel dry. I even tried running it on the hose for a while but there doesn't seem to be enough water pressure to reproduce what is happening on the water. Is there a way to create more water pressure while running on a hose? Any help would be great, I'm at my whits end with this.

Thanks
you can restrict the c hoses on the exhaust with clamps and that will raise your pressure if you do this in the water you should be able to check every hose from transom to those c hoses on riser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.