Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Adjusting steering >

Adjusting steering

Notices

Adjusting steering

Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a speed limit on Wallenpaupack? one of these days I wanna tow the Pantera back North, but the lake I grew up on (Candlewood) has a 45 MPH speed limit.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure of the speed limit, I have only been there during the week and it might be lifted weekdays
Ok I checked out the steering and it has a cable then goes to the ram in the back. There is very little play in the steering box itself most of the play is in the cable. is there a way to adjust the cable ? I see no way to adjust it on the steering box side.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

The cables stretch. Theres some adjustment at the ram/actuator where the cable attaches. Looks like a threaded tube where the cable goes into. A little slop can give you alot of play. The cables need to be secured somewhat from the helm to the transom and not too loose and hanging. Also chech all the other places for slop as stated earlier. From what you've said so far it sounds like this guy used the crap out of the boat and never did much maintenence. Also sounds like a salt water boat from all the rot like the P/S pump? Hope you got a good deal. Check out those gimbles for play. I can assure you, you don't want one to fail while running. Makes for a really bad experience.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered

I have very little play at the drives, I put 1 new gimble bearing in while the motor was out and even that one was in good shape.. The first owner had it on a freshwater lk, the guy I got it from used it on the bay, he says very little but he is getting harder and harder to beleive ..
What do I need to do to adjust it? it just looks like the cable goes into the a cyl hooked to the hyd. ram .. Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Buy a book for the year and model of your engines and drives. That should walk you thru the normal maintenence. The cables need to be replaced when they get stretched too far. A little play here and there adds up to alot of play. Not good when there should be NO PLAY! It's the pivot pins and points in the gimbles that wear out.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered

I have a clymer book but is says nothing about adjusting the steering. I have no play in the piviot points.. I had a friend look where the cable hooks to the ram, and I turned the wheel just back and forth with the play and the ram does not move.
So the cable is not adjustable and it needs to be replaced?