Notices

pull motor?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pull motor?

how bad of a job is it to pull a big block with a bravo one drive? about how much time should it take? do you need to pull the drive also? what kind of job is that?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my boat I have to pull the drive. I would do it anyway since it gives you a chance to check out everything else. As for the engine its not a big deal,just disconnect everything and pull it out. If you have never done it take your time and make sure EVERYTHING is taken off. If you ahve help I would say 2 hours max for the first time(thats if you don't shoot the chit and pound the silver bullet)
Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Registered

Shouldnt take too long at all, depending on whether you have a single or twins and/or bilge space for working around the engine. Really it is just 8 bolts and a few wires and hoses. make sure you have everything disconnected, and even when you start to pull the motor out, stop after a few inches and check again.

You will need to pull the drive unless you have alot of room in front of the engine, and even then it is just easier, because you will need to pull it when you put it back in anyway.

An hour and a half to disconnect everything, half an hour to pull the drive and the motor.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered

thanks that doesnt sound to bad. how is it to pull the drive? i hear that there is a pin in it somewhere and it has to be in either forward or reverse to get it all to line up?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Registered

nope, take off the 6 nuts, take off the trim rams and pull it out. Sometimes it can be a pain to pop loose, on the way out it will pull the drive into reverse (i think), and you sometimes have to open up the cable end holder. This is easy though, just lift up on teh top of it and the ball end will slide right out.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Philm
nope, take off the 6 nuts, take off the trim rams and pull it out. Sometimes it can be a pain to pop loose, on the way out it will pull the drive into reverse (i think), and you sometimes have to open up the cable end holder. This is easy though, just lift up on teh top of it and the ball end will slide right out.
Make sure to release the speedo tubing also (if equipped). Raise drive to trailer position. Tube is in front of the upper drive - rotate the lever on the drive then lift out.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered

When pulling the drive off once you break itr loose pull it back about an inch and release the shift cable.