Tranny Fluid for a TRS? >

Tranny Fluid for a TRS?

Notices

Tranny Fluid for a TRS?

Old 05-03-2002, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tranny Fluid for a TRS?

What is everyone using for Tranny Fluid in their TRS Tranny's? Do you just use the Regular GM Dextron fluid?

Also In the Drive? Is everyone using the High Performance Green Fluid from Merc.? That is what it look's to have in it now.

How often do you guy's change both? We only put about 30 Hours on it last year. But should I change it anyway?
Old 05-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Royal Purple trans fluid in the trans and Royal Purple gear lube in the drive. Several car tests have shown the Royal Purple gear lube saves about 10 HP in a typical differential, probably more in a drive as they are inherently less efficient.

-Greg
Old 05-03-2002, 10:43 PM
Registered

If everything is healthy and watertite and the color doesn't change then you shouldn't have to worry too much about an oil change. However, if you have rerbuilt or want to start fresh then I would recommend Amsoil's new race auto-trans fluid. I'm using it with the MercTrans unit and I beat the stuff out of it with about 550 HP. If you have the B/W tranny then go with whatever B/W wants for yours. Some units used regular oil and some used ATF. Whichever, I would use the best synthitic available. Costs more but you don't have to change it until it gets contaminated or you blow clutches, which you can do if you get enough power to it. --- Jer
Old 05-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Registered

Now as far as drive lubes go; Merc's best stuff is a synthetic. Again, I use Amsoil but there lots of good ones out there. I saw a 200 RPM increase going from fossel gear lube to Amsoil; no other changes and that was the same day/ same water. Key word here--SYNTHETIC. --- Jer
Old 05-04-2002, 12:50 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I am sold on the B&M Trick Shift. I have noticed a HUGE difference in the way mine shifts and drives.

Jon
Old 05-04-2002, 08:41 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

We use Type F atf in all our transmissions, including the TR trans when we do them.

F has no friction modifiers. As these transmsissions do not shift under load the best fliuid is the one that allows the highest CF (coeficent of friction) The friction modifiers in the other fluids make for nice smooth shifts, smooth = slip which is not good for the friction plates.

The synthetics are too slippery. The Trick Shift is ok.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:08 AM
Registered

Thanks Guy's!!!
It sounds like Type F in the trans. and The verdict is still out on the drive fluid, I might try a Synthtic in the drive? BAM What is your idea on that? Maybe I should just stick with Mercury High Performance Gear Lube since it is pretty easy to get ahold of just about everywhere??!?

Quick Question on changing the fulid in the Tranny and Drive......
Drain the drive from the bottom drain plug and then fill it again from the bottom. (Just like a Bravo) Right??

Then, Where is the drain for the Tranny? I haven't gotten in there and stood on my head yet, but I bet it's on the bottom of the Tranny!???!? Is there any tricks to doing this?

Thanks! It's a realitively new boat to me!
Old 05-04-2002, 05:46 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

YUP It is underneath the trans. Kind of hard to get to on some boats. You can just pull most of the fluid out the dip stick tube with your engine oil changer if you have a tube that fits in there.

Jon
Old 05-04-2002, 06:51 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drain Plug Will be on the Lower Right side of trans (Pipe Plug )If you are looking at engine from in the cockpit. I agree with Jon B&M Trickshift Fluid Has worked well for me .

Rob
Old 05-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Registered

I think it's still important to know if we are dealing with a MercTransII or a B/W tranny. Merc used both with their TRS's. The Amsoil RACE ATF I'm refering to here locks up very well and has what is needed to prevent slip and still give superior lubrication. That's why they don't recommend it for the wife's car. Things do grab better and tires can chirp when it shifts. If you have a small hose sucker and want to avoid a mess, just vacume the oil out of the tranny dip stick hole. It's getting nice here so I have to get off the tube here and get on the water. Hope you get there soon too. --- Jer

Quick Reply: Tranny Fluid for a TRS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.