Loss of thrust, Rpms redline instantly >

Loss of thrust, Rpms redline instantly

Notices

Loss of thrust, Rpms redline instantly

Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of thrust, Rpms redline instantly

Was out tonight, boat was running fine, threw it down wot, and a few seconds later I lost all forward thrust and flew forward, rpms went above 6k. I have an 89 22ft scarab with a carb 350 mag, alpha gen 1. I limped in at idle, boat does fine till around 1200 rpms and then I lose thrust and the rpms skyrocket. Reverse works fine still, shifting seems normal. With boat off and in forward drive prop locks to the left and spins fine clockwise. In reverse it spins freely in either direction. Is this a tranny issue, or outdrive? My buddy who slips at my marina suggested the prop is slipping and that it is as simple as the rubber gasket or ring inside the prop needs to be replaced.....another thing I noticed, I felt some sort of different vibration as I lose thrust above 1200 rpms. I listened to the engine and the only difference I hear is something that sounds like a rattle(not very loud) near the drive, however that could have been there before so idk. Any help is appreciated
Old 08-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like you trashed the drive coupler. It couples the drive to the rear of the engine at the flywheel. Drive will have come off and engine pulled to change it. Sounds like it's more than just a spun prop hub though that would be the first thing you would want to check.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the rubber hub in the prop let go.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Sounds to me like you trashed the drive coupler. It couples the drive to the rear of the engine at the flywheel. Drive will have come off and engine pulled to change it. Sounds like it's more than just a spun prop hub though that would be the first thing you would want to check.
that's what I didn't want to hear....anything in particular that makes you think that?

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Sounds like the rubber hub in the prop let go.
I hope that is all, I have had no problems until today, boat runs great and hard.....is a failure like this common with no symptoms?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

It is very common with rubber hub props. I don't think it is the coupler, or it wouldn't move at all. I would bet it is the prop. You may not be able to tell right away. Just pull the prop and take it to a prop shop and have it replaced.
It should only be about $50.
Eddie
Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Registered

I am going to pull the prop tomorrow, hopefully it's just
the prop
Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rexmitchell
I am going to pull the prop tomorrow, hopefully it's just
the prop
Sometimes the hub can spin without showing visible signs when you pull the prop. Depends on whether it is the old press in style or the flo-torq interchangeable kind.

One way to know for sure.
Spin that baby up for ten seconds, immediately kill the motor, dive in the water and grab the prop hub. If it's been spinning it will be hot. You'll have about fifteen seconds to check, cause the heat gets pulled off of the prop by the surrounding water pretty quickly. But if it's the hub, the prop hub will be hot.

MC
Old 08-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Registered

Prop hub. As Eddie said if it was the coupler it's DRT. Dead right there
Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered

Pulled the prop yesterday, hub appears to be shot, rubber is ruined. Good call to everyone who suggested the hub. Off to the prop shop this afternoon, thx again for all the advice.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
It is very common with rubber hub props. I don't think it is the coupler, or it wouldn't move at all. I would bet it is the prop. You may not be able to tell right away. Just pull the prop and take it to a prop shop and have it replaced.
It should only be about $50.
Eddie
Right on Eddie, 54 bucks with tax, shaft lube, new hub and hardware. Boat runs alot smoother now than before, I guess that should have been a warning sign......again thx for all the help everyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.