Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Supercharged BBC with dead hole. >

Supercharged BBC with dead hole.

Notices

Supercharged BBC with dead hole.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged BBC with dead hole.

I just bought a donor boat with a supercharged 496. The boat has been threw a few owners in the last while. Motor looks to be very low on hours and looks as if someone spent alot of time and money putting this together.
#4 cyl has no compression. The rest of the cyl. are fine. I plan on pulling the head tomorrow and seeing what I can find.
The guy I bought the boat from didn't seem to have much knowledge of how to tune the motor and had taken it to different altitudes. He thought he had a bad plug wire or something and was a little bummed when I pointed out the 0 compression in #4 cly.
While looking at things I took the distributor cap off and noticed a lot of play in the distributor as if the gear is half worn.
Now for my question. Even tough the previous owner set timing at 13 btc with a total of 30 btc, would it have gotten more advance at times causing a valve to burn? This looks like a new MSD distributor. Have I got a cam causing me troubles?

Things I know so far.
told it was a 496ci motor
Weiand 177 Supercharger
Big Holley double pumper
EMI Thunder Exhaust
MSD Ignition
Lots of fuel system upgrades including 1/2" lines big pump. Auto fuel shutoff system In line and up front gauges.
Large sump oil pan

I don't know what mods have been made inside, but I'm guessing some work had been done there also.
As far as the install, all the work done is very clean and looks as though someone knew what they were doing at one time.
I plan on putting this motor and the bravo drive in a very clean Formula 242ls I just acquired. I've owned many boats over the years. But this is the first performance boat for me.
Thanks Steve
Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,903 Likes on 956 Posts

There is really no way to tell anything until you tear it down. Total advance is total advance. It won't go any higher. That doesn't mean it didn't lean out.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Registered

Total advance can go higher if when it is set the distributor is set with the gear slop to one side, and when the backlash goes the other way could it not advance the timing more?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When there is increasing play in the timing chain or gears, it usually ends up retarding ignition and cam events. More likely bad gas or leaned out.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered

OK motors apart. Not sure how it even fired up. Perhaps I should of check compression on all the holes when looking at this boat. Might of not gotten it as cheap as I did.
Anyways. Head gasket blown between 3 and 5. head OK. Head gasket blown between 4 and 6. Head Cracked and has a 1/4" deep x 1/2 wide creator between the cylinders. No Burned valves. All pistons and cylinders look almost new.
I thing I found is this isn't a 496. It's a 454 .030 over. Other then roller rockers, everything looks fairly stock on the inside. Only have the heads off though. Maybe the motor is just full of bolt ons.
MSD distributor gear OK. Centrifugal advance missing springs inside.
How can I ID these heads? I've got a casting number of: 3964290. and a stamped number of: RR1 25515. Do these number tell me anything?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Registered

A little more resurch and I find that these heads are 69-70 Chevelle, Vette, Camero BBC. 101 cc chamber.
I have TRW L2453 Forged pistons. Pistons look to be low comp pistons. 7.81. R these head ok for the blown motor?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Registered

Compression is usually figured using 119cc for head volume. Looks like your compression is over 9 to 1. Not good for a blown motor in general.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered

Are those oval port or square port heads? That cc number sounds more like the closed chamber heads from the mid sixties. If so, they would only have value to a collector. Any pictures? How's the block? Deck should be resurfaced if the head was burnt that bad. Check it carefully for cracks. This engine was detonated bad.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 08-10-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered

My opinion is the 454 with a 177 blower needs higher compression to crutch the blower. It works well in fact. I run 9.5:1 with 177. Anyway, you certainly will have a low spot in the deck where the head cratered so decking is important. Then make sure you use cometic or equiv head gaskets and set the quench to .038-.040" to prevent future detonation. I just got done fixing a sbc crusader with the same head crater from a blown head gasket and it was from bad/old gas. Shame on me for running it with that gas
Old 08-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Registered

I notice you are from Ogden Utah. So am I, I live up in N. Ogden Lakeview Heights area. I have a 88 Formula 242LS with a 454SC Clone. Pretty much the same set up you have. I would like to see your boat. pm me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.