big block chevy flywheel >

big block chevy flywheel

Notices

big block chevy flywheel

Old 08-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default big block chevy flywheel

What kind of flywheel to run on a big block tall deck w/72c and TRS. Engine is about 550HP. Not sure what I have yet but will know this weekend when engine comes out. Teeth are gone on the ring of the flywheel (assuming I have a ring and not one piece). How many teeth should I have? Is there a standard? Should I have a race type (HP) one? Is there such a thing? I believe the flywheel I have should be for a manual transmission even though the boat is obviously automatic (BW 72c). Any help, suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can change just the ring on the flywheel, its probably the standard 168 tooth.
take a torch and heat the old ring,knock it off w a hammer. Heat the new one it slips right on.
GM sells the ring itself
Old 08-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just replace the ring gear. Should be 168 tooth. Much less $ than replacing the flywheel. This is a standard part available at NAPA or GM dealer. About any machice shop or auto repair shop should be able to do the work while you wait. $50 or less + part.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys! That was the original plan. Wanted to make sure I was going the right way.