fiberglass layup???

Notices

fiberglass layup???

Old 05-05-2002, 01:23 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass layup???

As some of you know Wellcraft doesn't glass together hulls and decks. I finally decieded that the crappy wood screws aren;t enough so i began glassing my hull and deck together. How many layer of glass cloth should i use? I am using the woven stuff 6" wide. So far I have about 3-4 layers with lots of resin. How much is enough?

So far i have only done teh engine bay and part of cockpit. When i start in on the cabin part what is the best way to remove the carpeting from the walls? additionally is it eas to put back up and make looks the same as is was prior to being removed?
Old 05-05-2002, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

MY ENTIRE DECK IS GLASSED TO THE HULL - I would think that 1 layer of heavy cloth should be enough. Just make sure that you are roughing up the areas that will see the resin or it may not stick properly.

1992 34 scarab
Old 05-06-2002, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Puder, did you start with a layer of fiberglass mat? When I was glassing my floor back in the manufactuer said if I wanted to use the woven roven to first lay down a single layer of mat. They even sell some roven that has the mat already attached to it to save a step. I'd think one good layer of roven woould do. That stuffs strong. Check out www.fibreglast.com for good info and supply.

Craig
Old 05-06-2002, 03:20 PM
mjuwalters

Pudler Fun job! I would pull the carpet down by hand, Then use a 4in. grinder with a wire wheel to re move glue. Acetone may work but the fumes would most likey kill you. Be sure an sand the area. Two layers of roving is enough. Cover any areas where you don't want spilled resin to ruin your inteior. Make sure to have plenty of ventlation and where a chemical resperator
Good luck Michael