Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lining up grease hole on gimbal bearing >

Lining up grease hole on gimbal bearing

Notices

Lining up grease hole on gimbal bearing

Old 05-05-2002, 05:57 PM
blackhawk

Question Lining up grease hole on gimbal bearing

I am getting ready to install a new gimbal bearing. I know that the hole in the bearing "carriage" needs to line up with the grease hole in the gimbal assy. But, I also noticed two small pin holes in the OD of my old bearing. Is one of these small holes suppose to line up with the grease hole in the bearing "carriage" so grease will find its way to the inner race?

Thanks

Old 05-05-2002, 07:20 PM
blackhawk

I think I have it figured out. Looking at the old one it looks like there is a ring on the inside of the "carraige" that lines up with the small holes in the OD of the bearing. So, grease should go through the "grease tunnel" in the assy and into the hole in the "carriage" and then into the ring on the inside of the "carriage" and then through the small holes in the bearing.

So, I should just have to line up the hole in the "carriage" with the hole in the assy. Does this sound right?

By the way, Bravo Gimbal assy.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thin piece of metal that goes around the Gimbal bearing is called the tolerance ring. The slot in the tolerance ring needs to line up with the big hole in the bearing not the small ones. I took a marker and marked the front of the gimbal where the grease hole is. Then I marked the front of the bearing. Make sure the tolerance ring stays put as you insert the bearing.
Good luck,
Dan