Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
looking for opinions on problem. is it fuel, electrical..? >

looking for opinions on problem. is it fuel, electrical..?

Notices

looking for opinions on problem. is it fuel, electrical..?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for opinions on problem. is it fuel, electrical..?

running the boat this weekend. full tank of street gas. ran about 50 miles at 3500-4000 rpm. no problems.. put 15 gallons in at mears marina at kent island. ran back between 3000- 3500 in same situation until about 2 miles from dock i decided to let her rip alittle. upon increase in rpm she started to hesitate, surge, and miss. heard one little pop and backed down to idle. took her back up and noticed some surging in rpm around 4000 rpm. would surge up and down about 200 rpm. brought boat in. changed water seperator, added some startron, filled up tank. next day ran her out and same problem still exsisted at 4000 plus but no issues on take off up to 4000. could cruise all day at 3500 rpm until i started to burn off about a half tank of fuel. then it really started to act up and slowly get worse. brought her in and dumped gas from water seperator into glass. was some water seperation in glass. does this whole situation sound like just bad gas ?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Bad Gas

Drain tank . Fill up with marine or recreation fuel if avail.. Its usually 90-92 octane.. and has no ethanol. Change fuel filter/water separator . If FI put in 2 bottles of quality FI cleaner. Cross fingers and go for it.. I live in Florida and there is a service here that reconditions fuel.. IE suck yours out ,seperate the water, add octane booster and put back in boat.. It is good alternative if you have 100+gal tank but for smaller tanks the charge cost more than draining and re-fueling. If all clears up, run the piss out of it for a day as long as your motor is mechanically sound. Other cheap options are to change the rotor ,cap and plugs. The fact that you saw separation in a glass says bad fuel...

Chris
Old 08-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Registered

yes we are planning on following that script on tuesday. i was hoping that someone had the same chain of events happen to them and they would share their findings. only a 75 gallon tank and im pretty sure i burned at least 1/2 off yesterday. no more gas at mears for me either thank you....
Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Registered

I would say fuel also
Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the new fuel is crap and breaks down very quickly I'm told, we have seen problems all around out marina...our government at its best !!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

looks like the red injecter style aeromotive fuel pump might be bad. replacing it tommorow with the black marine one and water testing it. will keep everyone posted on the progress. the fuel we dumped out of it and the prefilter looked fine so we bypassed draing it for now. dist cap, plugs and wires ok also.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 AM
Registered

fuel pump was the issue. put the marine 11108 in it and the surge was gone. still had some pressure dropping at wot so we removed the check valve and screen on the pickup at tank. hopefully this pump lasts longer than 100 hours. we are going out this weekend so i will keep everyone posted on the results. thanks so far for everyones help..... mark
Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 AM
jln
Registered

good to hear you made out ok with the new fuel pump
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's not too happy with the bill though, I am trying to get ready for the reaming I think I'm gonna take too. Still on for the 4th as far as I know but as of today I am still boatless. I'd rather be cashless than boatless though.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:49 AM
jln
Registered

boat= break out another thousand... Bill hopefully your good to go soon. fall weather should be nice i hope. looking forward to a few runs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.