Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Learning??? Outdrive oil change. >

Learning??? Outdrive oil change.

Notices

Learning??? Outdrive oil change.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:36 AM
patrick22309

Question Learning??? Outdrive oil change.

On my Stingray, I have and alpha with no reservoir what is the proper way to add oil? Bottom up like I seen my dad do on old outboards.

I plan to run Redline Heavy with a touch of prolong. Is that good for the alpha? Should or can I install a reservoir on my alpha? Do they make kits?

Thanks All

Old 05-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, bottom up with vent screw out.

BT
Old 05-06-2002, 12:53 PM
turbo2256

You want Shock Proof Heavy, as for the Prolong I am still waiting for the old fan in my garage to start running like on the TV add

Old 05-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I added drive reservoirs to my Formula 242LS- it actually takes a couple of kits to get the job done right (thanks Merc! )
The one kit comes with a round plastic bottle that is notorious for cracking- you need the upgrade kit as well which gives you the rectangular bottle and bracket. Whole thing cost around $150 per drive - I bought from Doller Offshore. They'll hook you up with the right stuff.
Definitely a worthwhile investment on an Alpha
BTW, I run Simrek Summit drive showers and RedLine Shockproof Heavy as well- no problems to date.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:17 AM
patrick22309

Default Upgrade for sure!

I think a drive reservoir and drive shower would really be worth the $$$$$ thanks guys for all the info.

Old 05-07-2002, 09:43 AM
patrick22309

Default Reservoir???

Can the reservoir be added easily with the dive attached? I assume there is a hose that has to be run to the drive. Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Not a problem with the drive attached- you do have to drill through the transom however for the feed-thru, and the hole is rather large to accomodate the hose without kinking it. The kit comes with template. The hose is a good-looking stainless piece and screws into the upper oil port.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Learning??? Outdrive oil change.-010608-002chg.jpg  
Old 05-09-2002, 08:30 AM
patrick22309

Default Correct oil change???

Last evening the changed the oil in the alpha without a resevior and removed about 1+qt of the merc stuff.

I refilled using the $6 Walmat pump and shockproof$$$$$ from the bottom up until it started coming out the vent. 1-1.5qt! Is that it??? Is there any air in there I should worry about? I was thinking maybe I should have pushed the air out leaving the vent loose.

Old 05-09-2002, 09:30 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you filled from the bottom up then there is no way you havfe air in there. They do not hold as much as say a TRS that holds a HUGE amount of fluid. That is why the drive shower is so important n the Alpha and Bravo's. If you get the resovoir the filling procedure does not change at all. It is nice however to be able to look in the resovoir and see what the fluid looks like. Good luck.

Jon
Old 05-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Registered

If you have a BB in front of that Alfa, get the late HP forged gears, the remote reservoir, and a drive shower, and drive smart, not crazy. (you can save a few bucks today but there is only so much boating time and what is that lost time really worth?) Yeah, fill from bottom up with Merc's best or other synthetic as recommened on OSO. --- Jer

Quick Reply: Learning??? Outdrive oil change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.