Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fouling #2 on BBC >

Fouling #2 on BBC

Notices

Fouling #2 on BBC

Old 05-08-2002, 12:50 AM
Blueman

Just a thought, I don't know if we are talking about a QJ or not but if we are did you j.b. weld the base? The small ports that are lead sealed they are prone to leak gas into intake.
Good luck

Old 05-08-2002, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Formula 31 that if you can't jet the carb to fix the problem, there is only one other part of the equation and that is the plug. Step that plug up one or two hotter heat ranges. People act like that is against the rules to run a different plug in one cylinder. Really a motor should be tuned cylinder to cylinder if we had the diagnostic equipment to do so, most of us don't, but that would be ideal. I guarantee Pro Stock or other forms of racing do this because they have unlimited resources and data. There are no perfect castings and a lot of this could be in poor transition from carb to intake to head air flow or turbulence. A buddy had this same problem with a Dart intake, that had been worked and flowed, put an untouched intake on the motor and it cured it. He used a one step hotter plug in #2 for a year, but it would always foul at the wrong time, just when someone was wanting to play.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Registered

Good stuff guys... if I had to guess, I would say this problem is being caused by my crappy aluminum rectangle port intake. These are quite a specimen in poor workmanship - casting wise. I really should buy some good performance oval port intakes... I've heard oval ports work well combined with performance rectangle port heads on boats due to mixture velocity and the torque characteristics.

Excaleagle... I have aluminum eldebrock hp heads with bronze guides. I believe them to be ok. What is a plug extender? Never heard of that. I run A/C R43XLS plugs now.

Blueman.... just rebuilt the stock QJs, but didn't pay any attention to the area you discussed. Can you expound on that any further? I'd be happy to go back in if I had a clear understanding of what I was going to look for and do with the JB.

Jspeeddemon... is going up a heat range in plug simply getting a higher number plug... In my case it would be a R44XLS. I agree with your setting up each cylinder independently idea.

Thanks fellas... keep the ideas coming. The wife and I are hoping to partake in a couple poker runs in the next month or so and would like not to have this problem lurking.

BT
Old 05-08-2002, 06:42 PM
Registered

BT
blueman, yourself, and jsspeedemon are going about it the right way with good ideas.
the plug extender looks like the bottom of a spark plug except it has a round hole in the bottom. you screw your plug into it and it into your head. it shrouds the electrode of the plug so it can't foul. they work very well. they are available in any automotive parts store "help" section. they are more of a last resort though.
good luck,
Fran
Old 05-08-2002, 07:44 PM
Registered

I'm gonna get the plug extender too if I can find them. Thanks Excal... were you on the C&D last weekend? I saw the boat I thought might be your "little" one.

BT
Old 05-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Registered

yep BT,
i was in the canal with the little one. i out ran the coast guard too. they called the marine police to cut me off while i was still in the river. i didn't know they were behind me with the lights on. oops may be they need a faster boat. good thing i knew the guy in charge on patrol. then my bravo broke in the delaware mouth of the canal. it started making a whining noise while running. i don't know what it is yet . it was hard coming out of gear. when i got it home and started it up, drive down and centered, it was making a grinding noise. i only have about five hours on that drive too. guess the guy that was with me isn't buying the boat now. any ideas? i would like to have it fixed to join in on the poker runs too. you guys with the newer boats will have to take it easy on the guys driving the old ones.
Xcal
Old 05-09-2002, 02:25 AM
Blueman

blue thunder
When you take the base off the body of the Qj in the center of the front plates. It would be where the needles set above when the body is attached to the base. You will not miss it when you take it apart. It looks like two frog eyes on the inside of the carb. it looks like a hole in the bottom of the base and that is why it has to be sealed on the inside. They are bad to leak fuel into the intakes. Sorry I can not put it better

Hope this helps

Old 05-09-2002, 06:27 AM
Registered

Thanks Blueman, I think I know what you are talking about.

BT
Old 05-09-2002, 06:32 AM
Registered

Major bummer excaleagle. You where in the black boat with eclipse on the side? I saw that boat just as I was getting on plane going towards the chesepeake right after schaefers.

Sounds like time for a tech post on that drive. Obvious questions are///how did the lube look... how much metal on drain plug etc..

BT
Old 05-09-2002, 07:26 AM
Registered

Bt,
i was in the red 25ft. donzi. there is a picture in the classifieds on this board. i will do a post if after i look at the obvious stuff, still can't figure it out . probably not to hard to find where the noise was because it was making a lot

Quick Reply: Fouling #2 on BBC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.