Electrical guru's...help a newbie will ya? 1995 Cig TG bow light >

Electrical guru's...help a newbie will ya? 1995 Cig TG bow light

Notices

Electrical guru's...help a newbie will ya? 1995 Cig TG bow light

Old 09-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what you need for your lights to work. It is missing the ground for the switch to light up the LED feedback.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=391779
Old 09-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

It is possible that the last remaining poll is your ground. It is so hard to see what you have going on in your picture.....
Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audiofn I wish you were in my boat, been f"in with this damn thing ALL day! lol...wish I knew more about electrical. Anyways, I temporarily got it working, here's what I did. I bypassed the anchor portion of the switch (since I don't have the mast light it's not a problem right now) and only wired in the NAV lights.

Here's what I got. 3 lights total, bow light, transom light and Anchor (mast) light.

Here's what I was able to do with the switch.

Top right terminal = Brown/cream wire which seems to be a ground

Middle right and middle left terminals = power in (red wire to middle right jumped to middle left)

Bottom right = two white wires, I assume these are power out to bow light and transom light

Bottom left = green wire (think this is also a ground because I accidentally connected it to top right terminal and bow light still worked)

Top left = empty for now

With this arrangement the switch doesn't illuminate, but both the bow and transom light work. I didn't use the blue jumper at all.

Does this help any? I looked at the link you attached and that only has a anchor and bow light, no transom light.

Thank you very much for the help!! I really appreciate it...I'm almost there, at least the lights work now, but I know it's still not right...and so that drives me crazy
Old 09-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

If you want you can put your test light on the other posts and see if that makes it so the LED lights up. If it does that will give you a clue about were your ground locations need to be.

Jon
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumpin this up to the top for everyone who's back from vacation/long weekend and bored at work

Audiofn one of the main problems I'm having is that I can't figure out which wires are grounds. I found what I thought was a ground block and tried wiring a new wire as ground so that I had one ground on the top of the switch and one ground on the bottom of the switch and that triped the breaker so that's when I just temporarily wired it as I said above.

I read that I need to have a jumper wire so that the mast light will also turn on when the NAV lights are on, so that's obviously what the blue wire was doing, but I think it was wired to the wrong terminals. It was going from the top rt term to the bottom rt term and the bottom rt term had what I think is a grnd wire on it, so it was jumping to a grnd, shouldn't the jumper be between the two power out terms?

How can I determine grnd for certain if I can't find a grnd block or trace the wires all the way to the end? Someone told me to put the test light on a known 12v source and then when it lights it should be a grnd...will that do it?