Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cutting off angled tips, any Suggestions?? >

Cutting off angled tips, any Suggestions??

Notices

Cutting off angled tips, any Suggestions??

Old 05-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine. From 45 degree to straight cut tip. I think the straight cut looks better but that is personal preference. Cut them in a horitizonal band saw first and then dress them in a lathe if you need to to square the ends. Stainless steel tubing is not perfectly round alot of times and if you try parting it off in a lathe the tool will break through one side before the other dig in and jerk the tip out of the lathe or a the very least jerk a chunk out of your beautiful tip. Flying parts are also very dangerous to the lathe operator.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Here's one way!!

I just did it to install Drew Marine Shotgun Silencer Tips. I used a Milwaukee Portable Band Saw . It was a piece of cake! I cut them without removing them from the transom.

The only problem is it does NOT leave a nice finished edge and requires that you put somethin over them such as flappers or silencers.

Also, if you need to have a nice 90 degree cut, make a template out of steel tubing to put over your tips. Then the blade can be made to follow the guide. I tried using PVC tube, but the saw just cut right into it. If cut them straight enough you may be able to clean up the edges and finish polish them.

Good luck!

Last edited by jbrauer; 09-17-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:17 PM
Bo Knows

Take them off & use a chop saw with a 14" wheel. They will come out perfect without a scratch.

Bo

Old 05-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Smile

jbrauer took the words right out of my mouth. I borrowed a Milwaukee portable band saw to cut off the angle to install Drew Marine shotgun silencers. Having the tips on the boat was no problem. I taped the cutoff edge, and carefully started the cut. The saw went through the stainless steel almost as fast as if I was cutting wood. I carefully ground and polished up the cut edge in case I took the silencers off in the future.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 05-08-2002, 08:03 AM
jagrlg24

pb, I put on a set of angled tips with the internal flapper from Eddie Marine last year,about month after splashing I was washing the boat and noticed the flappers were gone. I asked a couple of people who had them and got the same answer, they do fall out. Good luck

Old 05-08-2002, 09:49 AM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

jagrlg24,
If I would have known that I would have packed them suckers back up and sent them back for the straight tips and external flappers. Oh well. I will have to keep and eye on them. I was looking at them last night and could see how they would fail. The welds on the rod probably cannot take all the vibration from the exhaust on the shutter and breaks. No wonder why they sell replacements. Live and learn.

Paul
Old 05-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

NO NO NO NO NO
this is crazy
Go to NAPA or other auto parts store
Get a chain exhaust pipe cutter for 15 bucks
it has like can opener or pipe cutter wheels all the way around
Wrap the chain with the cutter wheels around the pipe, connect chain to handle on both ends of chain
turn handle to tighten chain
start rocking back and forth do that for a few strokes and turn handle a bit more and keep rocking
Will cut through it like butter and not have any nicks, scratches, burrs nothing

Take em off and use a band saw is the only other way you will get a clean cut

Leave em on the boat is what you want to do, then this is your tool

I want angled tips with the metal flapper inside and i have the rubber flapped flat tips on mine now and I want to heave them
Im sure these are a dime a dozen
Jason
Old 05-08-2002, 10:59 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not just buy the set that I have in the garage
Old 05-08-2002, 06:42 PM
jagrlg24

pb, I don't know where mine broke, there is no trail. The flapper the rod holding the flapper, all gone. My boat is kind of small and when I would idle you could hear the flapper bouncing inside the tip, that does sound different. On the upside they look fantastic.

Old 05-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Are these the rubber flappers you guys are talking about,,, I hear about those burning out all the time.

I bought the steel flapper style, I have had them in for 4 years with 500 hours on them, no issues, I keep them clean, and they still shine like new.

Quick Reply: Cutting off angled tips, any Suggestions??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.