Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Son of a Bitch I have oil like chocolate milk!!! >

Son of a ***** I have oil like chocolate milk!!!

Notices

Son of a ***** I have oil like chocolate milk!!!

Old 05-09-2002, 11:34 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BANG! BANG! is NO GOOD! NO GOOD!

As Blue Thunder said, check the basics first then start figuring ut the motor pull process...
Old 05-09-2002, 11:43 AM
Registered

Jayl13, Sorry to here about your boat. A couple of hours with wreches should find your problem. It could be something as simple as (like blue thunder stated) a blown head gasket or a bent pushrod. Pull the Manifolds then the top off and see whats under the valve covers and intake. Hell if your that far, you can pull the heads. Then if you don't see anything, go over to your buddy's work on saturday and yank it. Pull the pan and see what the boating gods have in store for you. I would definitely do a little research before ordering a new long block for $2,000, which is probably about the right price. Cord had a good idea about talking to Bruce about getting Cords old motor. Most of us have been through the same thing before and it does suck. Hopefully it isn't as bad as you think!
Old 05-09-2002, 11:57 AM
Registered

Thanks guys,
As my thougts are calming down a little, pulling it is the only option. that Bang Bang has to be the bearings grabbing the crank and turning in the mains so she is going to have to come out, crank cut or replaced, all new bearings and so forth at the bare minimum.

So after my honeymoon, ill start pulling it all apart and worst case scenario I can grab Cord's engine or what ever (remanu'd long block) and just slap it together and dump it in probably take a day or so to yank it and slap another one in if I can haul ass and have another engine sitting there waiting.
If I take it to a machine shop and have them redo it if it is salvageable, then maybe 1-2 weeks to be redone, then back to the guys work and dump it in with a fork lift and button it all back up and together and get it done
Maybe by JULY to get her in the water now?????
I believe im going to get new exhaust manifolds no question at this point just to be pro active on this.
mine are 13-14 years old, when I changed the plugs the underside of the exhaust manifolds were just crumbling when my hand went by them.
So I did see a set for 225 (stocker merc Iron ones) on the classified section.

I just want a reliable and good running boat here. Not trying to be the fastest or what not and definately cant afford 2 new motors from Keith Eckert or what ever.

Im alot calmer now than I was when I found the Yoohoo being pumped out of the oil pan so Ill just deal with it and take it one part at a time. I do have 2 new intakes and valve covers all new gaskets and other things waiting to be bolted on so worst case scenario, a long block for around 1600-1800 plus new manifolds and risers so maybe im looking around 2200 or so plus shipping a new long block so im not going to be butt poor but it is going to hurt a little.
Now we play the waiting game
Thanks all, will let you know what I find, if it stops raining this afternoon, I might pull the risers and use a flash light and see what I find in there (i know it is not going to be pretty)
Jason
Old 05-09-2002, 05:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Jason, look in your oil filter for metal shavings. If there are none there, I'd bet against bearings being your problem. As everyone else has said, start with the manifold and work your way down.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now it's tough. One motor with 330 hours and runs and one blown and needs a rebuild or partial rebuild. If you can swing it I would pull both and have Frank Bash freshen them and check them. Probably won't need a new block. If you only need one piston and rod, He will do that for you. I would have him clean and dip the block, re-ring and bearing it, rebuild the heads, check the cam and timing chain etc. Definately you need new manifolds and risers if your's are 13 yrs. old. If you drop the engines off at his place- it's near you, you'll be pleasently surprised. Ask him how mush to re-ring, re-bearing, rebuild heads and reassemble, no major replacement of parts or machining.
It's usually cheaper to rebuild than buy new, but 1-800-runsnew has new complete long block engines 340HP for $3893 and rebuilt 454 300-330HP for $2579. No exchange.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:36 AM
Registered

Hey Cobra Marty That is Exactly what Im going to do.
Friend of mine has a guy in North Hills right outside of Glenside and Im going to pull BOTH engines, have them both rerung, rebearing'ed, dipped, cleaned and heads cleaned up and new valves, seals, springs, cut new seats, insert new cam and cam bearings (going to get more cam than stock 330)
so with new intake, a touch of head work, new bigger cams, I should be able to spin 25P props and try to get a higher cruising speed and higher overall top end speed out of this thing as well.
(would love a upper 70's boat with this hull -- 80 is pushing limits of this hull design and want to be safe)

I took off the risers on Thursday and there were chunks of iron laying in the exhaust pipes, just rotted to hell
toast so Im going to be on the lookout for new manifolds and risers (silent choice is going in the trash)
get new exhaust pipes, clean and paint bilge and paint new engines so she is really going to be "redone"

I agree if you are going to pull one and have it redone, might as well pull the second one and redo that one cause I dont want this headache later on . Do it right the first time and then Ill have 2 rebuilt blocks, everything will be basically new and then I can get underway in a nice, safe, reliable boat
So let the project begin
Thanks all
Jason
Old 05-13-2002, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do a compression check before you

pull the motor. Also, what is your oil pressure on that motor? Is the bang you hear a backfire? Your problem could simply be your manifold is leaking water and it is getting in the cylinder. This could cause a misfire and an occasional backfire especially during acceleration. If you have bad bearings your oil pressure will be down. It is easy to assume the worst scenario, but you need to look for the easy fix first. It would suck to spend big bucks if all you need is some new manifolds. I have a set of stock manifolds I could part with and I am sure other OSO members could sell you a set for your other motor if that is the problem. Good luck!!! Hope it is that simple.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:21 AM
Registered

Well Im just going to redo them
Yeah I need new exhaust manifolds and risers, Im going to stick with the stock cast iron ones off a merc for a bravo setup (pretty much what most of us have)
The bang I heard im thinking was the bearings spinning inside the engine cause I looked at the inside of the flame arrestor and there was no evidence of flame at all (no black soot or what not, perfectly clean and shiny on inside)
The stock intakes are coming off and being heaved in the trash anyway so no problem there.
I did squeeze the hoses off the circ pump in the front and all I heard and felt was crunch crunch, felt like captain crunch invaded my engines so im guessing that was rust all throuout the block and what not.
So Im just doing all of this work now so I can have a good reliable boat and good running engines so later on I have nothing to worry about what so ever.
Yeah im going to need 2 sets of exhaust and risers and im trashing that captains call exhaust silencers and u horn pipes and air pump on transom.
You have stock exhaust for sale?
How old?
want to get pretty new, 1-2 years old cause if I get 7-8 year old manifolds, the same fate of the engines is not too far off.
Probably in a year or two move up to either the stainless marine manifolds and pipes or headers from CMI or whatever but that is later on in life, i need to concentrate my efforts on yanking both of these, getting them to the machine shop and all torn down redone and back in in a few weeks time (hoping to be all reassembled and reinstalled and running by July 1)
Not sure how booked the machine shop dude is yet though but one can always hope ya know.
Let me know in an email how old your manifolds and risers are and let me know what you would want for them.
[email protected]

Thanks man
Jason
Old 05-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

Oil Pressure on that engine stays around 40 but constantly the needle jumps down to 10 or so then wiggles around back up to 40 . That should indicate that water is in there as well since the viscosity of water and oil are much different (a educated guess anyway)
It is weird though that the engine starts at the drop of a dime!!!
but better to just rebuild them, get them all freshened up and start from scratch and KNOW that everything is cool, perfect and ready to rock and roll and add some performance stuff along the way to get new higher pitch props (shooting for 25's) that will carry me into the 70's with the addition of HP with the rebuilds

trying to figure out what cams to get, any suggestions?
http://www.compcams.com/catalog/106_107.html
???
Jason