454 help please and thankyou

Notices

454 help please and thankyou

Old 05-08-2002, 11:20 PM
DJW
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 help please and thankyou

Ok, I have twin 454-330 and would like to pick up 400 RPM. I have bought new exhaust, not installed yet, and I would like to change intakes and maybe if absolutely necessary cams and carbs. I would like to get better intakes and use my Q-jets, but if that is unrealistic I will buy new carbs. I don't really want to mess with the cams. Can anyone suggest any parts specifically with brand names and possibly part #. Thanks again for the help. DJW
Old 05-08-2002, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

An engine is nothing more than an air pump. The more air it can pump the more hp it can produce. Put your money into a good set of performance heads and good exhaust then next year do the cam , intake and carb you will be happy. Or have Jim V. rework your original heads and buy good exhaust.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:28 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the heads are a oval port really need change to the merlins .i had the 365 mag with 1.8 rockers,830 cfm holley,stelling headers,would turn 5400 rpm,no prop change
Old 05-09-2002, 05:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Depends on your budget and timeframe...

Quick and inexpensive: If you already have new exhaust, I'd say add Edlebrock Performer intakes. They will provide good torque on your engines. Use your Q'jets and see what happens.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:08 PM
Intolerant1

I have an 1993 OMC King Cobra 454. I installed a Weiand Stealth intake manifold and replaced the stock corkscrew type mufflers with Shotgun Silencers and picked up 500 rpm. Now obviously my boat was really choked with the stock parts but its a good place to start.

Old 05-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Registered

330's have round port heads and just about every intake out there is an oval port. Edelbrock performer 2-o i think is an intake that will work with the 330 heads. it is ia q-jet base. put the exhaust on and a bigger spark arrestor and you might see a couple hundred rpms.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Bo Knows

Hey DJW

I also have a boat with twin 330 - 454 engines. I located 2 factory GM high rise manifolds PN # 3883948 that I have cleaned out & blocked off the heat passage. These manifolds are cheap ! I am also porting my stock heads & replacing the cam. From all the research I've done I think the stock q - jet will work fine as I'm keeping the RPM's under 5000. My boat is a 28 footer that runs 66.7 on GPS now. How big is your boat & how fast is it now ?

Bo

Old 05-10-2002, 12:28 AM
DJW
Registered

Bo,

I have a 311 Formula with Bravos. It runs 62 on GPS. I don't want to get into the internals of the motors. I am looking for some worth while bolt ons. Weiand has a high rise duel plane intake for the peanut port heads that I am considering.

Cignificiant,

I have been looking at the Performer RPM but it is for oval port heads and I have the peanut ports. Will the Edelbrocks work? You don't think there is anything to be gained by changing carbs?

Thanks again guys, I don't mind spending alittle money but I don't want to waste it either. DJW
Old 05-10-2002, 07:55 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

DJW are you sure you have the Penut Port heads? Have you actually removed the intake to look? I have yet to see a marine 330 with penut port heads on it unless it is a much newer one. What year are your motors? You can get the casting numbers and find out that way if you do not want to remove the intake. My bet is that unless you have a Gen 6 motor you have oval port heads. All my 330's have oval ports. Just a thought.

Jon
Old 05-10-2002, 08:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm not sure about whether the Edlebrock will work with your heads if they are the peanut-port. Maybe you could call their tech line?

I went to Edlebrock's web site, and if you don't intend to work on your heads I would stick with the Performer 2-0. The RPM has a higher RPM torque-band rating, but you'll only see benefits if you work your heads.

Quick Reply: 454 help please and thankyou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.