Winterizing with a XR Drive >

Winterizing with a XR Drive

Notices

Winterizing with a XR Drive

Old 10-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing with a XR Drive

When I ran the boat last time out of the water with the muffs there wasn't much water coming out of the exhaust. I noticed that most of the water was running out of four holes at the front of the nose cone. Should I try and block those off so the antifreeze goes into the motor and not on the ground.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta plug/tape those front holes too to use the side muffs
Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

You might want to check your impeller.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Registered

gotta cover those inlets either with tape or buy the kit from mercury; looks like a bottle cap that goes over the holes and snaps together around the drive. if that does resolve the water issue, check your impeller.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered

It was only for a short period of time just long enough to check the fuel pressure.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

Sorry reread the post, the impellers (dual stage) are in good shape. I have ran the boat several times since then and had good water pressure.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered

If possible, easiest thing is to put a bucket in the bilge, then pull the hose off the transom assembly and stick it in the bucket. You may need a little longer hose for it to work, but that's the way I do it and it works like a charm. I have some jobbie I rigged up with a 1-1/4 hose, then a ball valve, then an adapter to go to a garden hose. I usually pull the hose off the back of the pump and hook that up to flush, run on the hose, etc.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 186 Likes on 72 Posts

Of course all of this assumes that one can winterize a motor by simply running antifreeze through it. Personal opinion here, but I'm not a big fan of this method. There are simply too many chances of not getting the proper mixture of water & antifreeze in all of the different areas where the cooling water flows.

Now, if you drain everything first, then refill the system with antifreeze, I can live with that.

I will now stand by and get burned at the stake by everyone who's used this method. Remember, I work at a marina where we winerize over 400 boats each year. We're always looking for the fastest, safest, least expensive method. We experimented with using this method several times - and concluded that it was too risky for us.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked

Now, if you drain everything first, then refill the system with antifreeze, I can live with that.
That's one of those things you just assume the OP is doing prior to pumping anti-freeze in it. If you aren't doing that, then you should be.

That said, in the past I've just ran a/f in without draining, but usually ran about 12 gallons through before shutting it down...
Old 10-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Registered

The motor is procharged so it has a intercooler im assuming that if it shoots A/F out of the intercooler discharge port then the intercooler should be good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.