Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mercury Racing blue motors: 500EFI, 525 EFI, 575 SCI. Pros/cons/maintenance/etc. >

Mercury Racing blue motors: 500EFI, 525 EFI, 575 SCI. Pros/cons/maintenance/etc.

Notices

Mercury Racing blue motors: 500EFI, 525 EFI, 575 SCI. Pros/cons/maintenance/etc.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I recently posted a question on stainless marine or headers. Then I asked about CMI. At that point the threat went nuts. Everyone hated CMI headers. I was very confused on this as so many people use CMI and love them... I dug deeper into it and found that Merc Racing used CMI Headers after having a ton of engines go south using Gils (reversion problems). Problem is that Merc told CMI what grade stainless to use (lower) and to bypass the heat treating of the finished tubes. So what happened, the headers crack leak water in the engine and if not caught will quickly destroy it in short order. It seems standard CMI's are fine but the Merc/CMI headers really gave CMI a bad rap. Now you can buy the CMI header for around $4000, I believe the inferiour Merc version is $8000. Another example on merc's outragious mark-up. The rockers used in the new blue engines are Scorpion Endurance Marine Rockers, they list for around $400.00 merc price around $800.00. Anyway I'd personally skip the blue motor. Go to Young Performance, Wesco Racing, ect and have a great builder build your engine. It will cost you less and be a MUCH better engine. Do some digging on here about blue motors, you'll be shocked at what you'll read and how Merc didn't stand behind their product.

On another note about Mercury quality. A buddy of mine somehow got water in his oil reseviour in his new 40 hp Merc outboard. It took out the crank, we tore it down to rebuild it and its not possible. Its a throw away engine. The block and the head are welded together? IMO Merc needs to stop letting the bean counters run the show and start letting the engineers focus on long lasting, repairable products.
and now they are at it again with their "own marine engine" no thanks !!! remember the old 170/190's
Old 09-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard of 500EFI's having pre detonation issues? I have no issues while planing, however, If I try to put the throttle down from the cruise speed I can hear it start to "Ping". Motor has about 190hrs. Running 92 Non-Ethanol.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Pre ignition or detonation? Pre detonation isn't really a thing. Why are you running 92 octane? Has the ecm been flashed? What plugs?
Old 09-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Registered

Detonation sorry. Running 92 because I figured that's what you're supposed to run. I would say it has been flashed. Due to the fact with the previous prop it would rev to 5500. (only took it there once) then I stuck more prop behind it. Running factory plugs, maybe 3 hrs. on them. The motor seems to run rich at idle as well.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowdmax
Has anyone heard of 500EFI's having pre detonation issues? I have no issues while planing, however, If I try to put the throttle down from the cruise speed I can hear it start to "Ping". Motor has about 190hrs. Running 92 Non-Ethanol.
Where do you get real gas from. In the north east we have the corn hole fuel killing our motors and fuel lines. Thanks hippi liberals for killing my crap as you drive a electric car on a road that I pay for in my fuel that you don't pay for as you smog up the air from the power plants for electric in your clean car! Stupids! Sorry for that outburst. I'm done.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Registered

Non-Ethanol 92. Pacific Pride .. The last time I put gas in it, I ran the pump dry. I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it though.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 874 Likes on 406 Posts

Non-Ethanol 92. Pacific Pride .. The last time I put gas in it, I ran the pump dry. I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it though.
if you ran the pump dry you could hqve sucked crud/water etc off botto of the tank, run it as low as possible then change your fuel filters!
Old 09-15-2015, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 800 Likes on 377 Posts

They are probably pinging because you should be running 87-89 octane.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 874 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
They are probably pinging because you should be running 87-89 octane.
No, higher octane than needed will NOT make a motor detonate or pre-ignite, the higher octane burns SLOWER
Old 09-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,401 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
No, higher octane than needed will NOT make a motor detonate or pre-ignite, the higher octane burns SLOWER
Correct, does seem to make the transom get more soot on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.