evinrude 300hp Help please >

evinrude 300hp Help please

Notices

evinrude 300hp Help please

Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evinrude 300hp Help please

Hi, i have a evinrude 300hp outboard with a broken upper drive shaft any idea where i might be able to get hold of one? thanks in advance
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go here and you can find the part number.
http://epc.brp.com
What is the problem with the one you have?
What are the specifics of your V8?
Let me know.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:04 AM
Registered

Hi, the upper drive shaft has snapped at the flat point where the water pump housing sits, it is a 26" shaft, 3/4 diameter, I have the lower shaft which it fits into (part number 335679) which is in good condition.

On the snapped upper shaft the only part number is 335723 842

I have recently purchased the engine and we are unsure of its exact age believe its 1900-1995 there is corrosion on the engine mounts so unable to find an engine number. We have been told by a marina that it is the extra performance model.

In looking at the diagrams on http://epc.brp.com the shaft looks most like part number 0435771 on engine E300PXEOR 1995.

If you have any further information would be greatly appreciated

thanks for your help
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That can be an area of failure due to the pump housing wearing a groove in the shaft there. Is the engine 20",25" or 30" shaft ?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 92 v8 i may be interested in selling, it had some extensive work done to it before it went under water in a hurricane, the power head is currenty froze up, i pulled the heads off and the cylinders look fine so im guessing a crank bearing is froze. I think it is a 20 inch shaft not sure i will have to measure it tonight if u interested.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Registered

My drive shaft is stuck in my crank, at least you got yours out already haha! I might be sawzalling it if i cant get this trick to work. so ill have to buy a new one also for a 25" shaft
Old 11-14-2010, 04:21 AM
Registered

Thank you for all your replies, it must be a 25" shaft, I have a good power head and the shaft is the main thing that is holding me up we have been searching for ages, I have even looked into getting the shaft manufactured although this will take a while and is lot more expensive than if i can just buy a new or used one,

Does anyone have any idea if another shaft of the same leght with the same splines cud be used? I have heard of people who had trouble getting a replacement 1 piece shaft and replacing them with 2 piece shafts ?

I live in the Uk where these engines are real rare now and have been told by the biggest evinrude spares marine here that there is no stock in the uk so my last real chance is the US, Is it true that since evinrude were taking over there is no one else who has carried on maunfacturing parts for there older v8s?

I am considering a flight out to florida to visit some marines and see if maybe anyone has one lying around.

thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Registered

alot of the parts are not manufactured anymore. there are kits to fit a mercury CLE case which is alot stronger, you can also use a V6 case and drive shaft. you will probably have better luck on Screamandfly.com, they are more outboard oriented.

The V8s only came in 20" and 25". the 20" is actually 23" and the 25" is 28". if you have the exhaust snout on the mid it is a 20"
Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Registered

Go to screamandfly.com it is all about outbards. you might find a good used one in the clasifieds.
Jeff