Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Extension Box and Shortie on a 26 Scarab??? >

Extension Box and Shortie on a 26 Scarab???

Notices

Extension Box and Shortie on a 26 Scarab???

Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extension Box and Shortie on a 26 Scarab???

Has anyone tried a Extension Box and Shortie on a 96 single 26 Scarab.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The thing you want to do first is find out how deep your drive sits in the water. Measure the distance from the bottom of the boat to the propshaft centerline. If it is deep (7 or 8") raising it up would help the speed. My boat used to be at 8" and I raised the engine and drive up 3", now the prop is 5" deep. The boat handles better and runs flatter and faster.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
The thing you want to do first is find out how deep your drive sits in the water. Measure the distance from the bottom of the boat to the propshaft centerline. If it is deep (7 or 8") raising it up would help the speed. My boat used to be at 8" and I raised the engine and drive up 3", now the prop is 5" deep. The boat handles better and runs flatter and faster.
It is 6" now in stock location. I rather just get a shortie for as the x dim. However, I am thinking on adding an extension box also.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An Imco box is going to raise you up 3" and your gonna have to raise your engine up as well due to the straight shaft the Imco set up uses. A Stellings box which is adjustable in height even raises the X up 7/8" in the neutral position but uses a shaft system to connect to the engine. If I was you I would forget the box and all the work that comes with it and try the shorty lower by itself. Try a -2 and if it's too much you can space it back down 1/2" at a time. My 2ct's
Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imco makes a neutral box depending on angle of transom if it's equal deeper or higher. Mine raised me a inch. I gain 3" by box and shorty. Tremendous improvement in handling and ride.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Registered

I agree with fireboatpilot with trying the shortie lower by itself first. If you have Hyd. steering its going to start costing you going to a box.

Last edited by Back4More; 11-19-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
An Imco box is going to raise you up 3" and your gonna have to raise your engine up as well due to the straight shaft the Imco set up uses. A Stellings box which is adjustable in height even raises the X up 7/8" in the neutral position but uses a shaft system to connect to the engine. If I was you I would forget the box and all the work that comes with it and try the shorty lower by itself. Try a -2 and if it's too much you can space it back down 1/2" at a time. My 2ct's
I agree with you, I used a 2'' shortie worked great with it and a carb change I pick up 8mph maybe more but drive was stolen. boxer just put a 2'' shortie on his with a 1'' spacer he went from 4 3/8'' to 3 3/8'' his boat a 31 single sutphen picked up 3 or 4 mph and better ride leveled the boat with the longer nose of the imco.the boats that run near 80 or above pick up more speed it seems. what hp do you have maybe bring it up a little too.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Registered

if you don't have hyd steering I have two sets for sale one new one used. my konrad ace came with its own steering, so I have extra now.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
I agree with you, I used a 2'' shortie worked great with it and a carb change I pick up 8mph maybe more but drive was stolen. boxer just put a 2'' shortie on his with a 1'' spacer he went from 4 3/8'' to 3 3/8'' his boat a 31 single sutphen picked up 3 or 4 mph and better ride leveled the boat with the longer nose of the imco.the boats that run near 80 or above pick up more speed it seems. what hp do you have maybe bring it up a little too.
Im running a Whipple 540 with AFR 1000HP and over 80mph and changing over to a SCX drive.

Last edited by goebel1; 11-22-2010 at 10:40 AM.