Ignition Wiring

Notices

Ignition Wiring

Old 12-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Wiring

G'day all,
I've just come accross a new ignition switch set for a 2005 Mercury I/O (pn: 87-892336a01) that should allow me to have an ACC pwr circuit.

It has six wires: blk, blk/yel, pur, pur/whi, red and yel/red all to a 6 pin connector.

Can anyone please tell me the codes used for the wires in this?

I can assume as it is a 4 position (off, acc, run, start) switch that the pur would be the input, the pur/whi should then power an ACC panel and the yel/red would still be the neut switch. Red should be the 12v+ in but what does that make the blk/yel wire? ACC Ground?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It should be a 3 position switch used with with the smartcraft I/O engine set up according to the link below.

I believe this key is going to be for the new smart start system. The way this system works is you turn the key momentarily and the PCM takes over to start the engine on certain model years.

Try Googling the part number.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product...on-switch.html
Old 12-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Registered

Thanks for that,
I've tried Googleing the p/n and all I can find is the part for sale a million times. I can't seem to find any copies of any late model wiring diagrams anywhere that might tell me what colours are for what.
The closest reference I found had a 3 pos (4 if you include start or off) in the diagram and the other wire (it was blk / wht in their pic) was for an electric choke.
I would like to use this key as it will enable me to have an ACC position without the coil but I don't want to get thw wiring wrong and fry anything!
Any idea where I might get the late model wiring codes or diagrams?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Registered

I'm not sure, but I think that's for DTS equipped motors only.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry, But I'm pretty sure your not going to be able to use this key switch as a normal key switch, Unless you have the smart craft with digital throttle and shift system? But I could be wrong though, It would be interesting to know, So good luck to you with it, and definitely let us know what happens.

Because the,

pur/white wire goes into a accessory port, "Load switch".

Purple is always ignition, / In this case it's considered to be RUN.

Yellow and Red goes to a start switch.

Black and Yellow is considered to be ignition "OFF" All going to the command module, And other things as well.

Black is ground.

Red is 12 volts.

Last edited by lakematdude; 12-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Registered

I think what I might do is apply power to the switch and check output with a multimeter to each wire at each position. Given a solid common ground (command module would be powered seperate in that setup), I may not need the blk/yel at all. I should think if I wire my ACC fuse panel with the pur/whi as power, it will work when at run, start or ACC, whereas the panel will be cold only at 'off.' Currently, my ACC fuse panel is on whenever the switch is on which means the coil / ign is too.

Do you think this might work?
Cheers,
John
Old 12-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Registered

Is there a website I can go to to see the wiring diagrams / colours for late model Mercury?

I can't seem to find anything of use after trolling Google for ages.

Anyone have a PDF of a late model manual with the correct diagram they can email me? All my manuals only show the same 3 pin, 3 wire key that the boat came with.

I just want to confirm that I can leave the blk/yel off.

Cheers!